Which controller would you buy?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most can agree that Neptune Apex is probably the best controller out there as far as features. So my question is if you could do it all over again which controller would you buy?

Other question is there a big difference between the complete $800 apex controller and the classic for $550 ?

Reef Gadgets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex has all the bells and whistles they did have issues with release of 2016

Profilux seems to be the work horse very reliable I personally run both on my 800 plus system my calcium reactor and return pumps off the profilux off the apex I run radions, gyre, mp60 and feeders

By the way we carry both

Reef Gadgets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="?

Other question is there a big difference between the complete $800 apex controller and the classic for $550 ?[/QUOTE]

the classic is there older model wont support eb832

enthejungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the P4 when I was in the same dilemma.

Didn't like the idea of adding all the additional modules and learning a programming language. Gratend the programming might not be that difficult but I've got enough on my hands as is.

I keep a reef for aestitics. All the additional modules and the color scheme alone was enough for my decision, but I wasn't that vein in my decision.

There's a few threads on the topic. I searched them for my research, did a little more leg work, and went with the P4.

Robert Scott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Apex classic on a large system and it handles everything I need and does a great job, tons of flexibility. If I were in the market for a controller I would go for the latest and greatest, even if it was a couple of hundred bucks more. Technology moves on and additional enhancements are always coming. However, depending on your need and budget I wouldn't hesitate getting the Apex classic as they do a good job in supporting their legacy stuff.

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the P4 when I was in the same dilemma.

Didn't like the idea of adding all the additional modules and learning a programming language. Gratend the programming might not be that difficult but I've got enough on my hands as is.

I keep a reef for aestitics. All the additional modules and the color scheme alone was enough for my decision, but I wasn't that vein in my decision.

There's a few threads on the topic. I searched them for my research, did a little more leg work, and went with the P4.
dont know much on the P4, does it support any pump and lights? like the apex only supports certain lights, pumps etc

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So went on GHL Website even registered and I was having a hard time trying to find information on setup, like a how to manual. I did not even see a place where I can start a new thread. For this reason, and others on how I saw some frustrated questions on setup I would decide to go with Apex. Just for the ease of use (plug and play) and support form forums.

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So went on GHL Website even registered and I was having a hard time trying to find information on setup, like a how to manual. I did not even see a place where I can start a new thread. For this reason, and others on how I saw some frustrated questions on setup I would decide to go with Apex. Just for the ease of use (plug and play) and support form forums.

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's not that hard..

GHL YouTube Channel for how-to's
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCXOE8KkEuX_oDKMCph9GwPA

Forum
http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/forum.php?langid=2

Downloads section for manuals and downloads
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads

enthejungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont know much on the P4, does it support any pump and lights? like the apex only supports certain lights, pumps etc

Supports any pump/lights with a 1-10 volt interface.

I've got a jeabo power head for now that has a controller so I simply plug it into one of the sockets and always have it on. I can pause or change the power head via the jeabo controller or pause for feed/WC via the P4

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supports any pump/lights with a 1-10 volt interface.

I've got a jeabo power head for now that has a controller so I simply plug it into one of the sockets and always have it on. I can pause or change the power head via the jeabo controller or pause for feed/WC via the P4
hard tyo find good youtube videos out there

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run everything off my P4.
Lights - no, but I have leds with their own wifi anyway.

I have my vortecs running almost every mode possible, changing through out the day.
Ive had reefkeeper, apex, ghl, cerebra.

I like ghl best, customer service is great.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent like two months researching trying to make up my mind. In the end I went with the APEX (2016) and was so happy I did. I originally planed to run my skimmer, return, a couple float switches, and of course the monitoring. Now I run everything except my Hydras (I do use it for my T5s) off of my APEX. If money isn't an issue, I'd have to say go big. I am so glad I didn't limit myself getting something else. I will be using this controller with all of my future systems and I honestly don't even know if it's possible to outgrow.

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run everything off my P4.
Lights - no, but I have leds with their own wifi anyway.

I have my vortecs running almost every mode possible, changing through out the day.
Ive had reefkeeper, apex, ghl, cerebra.

I like ghl best, customer service is great.
is the new profilux 4 ultimate package 1099 euros?

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent like two months researching trying to make up my mind. In the end I went with the APEX (2016) and was so happy I did. I originally planed to run my skimmer, return, a couple float switches, and of course the monitoring. Now I run everything except my Hydras (I do use it for my T5s) off of my APEX. If money isn't an issue, I'd have to say go big. I am so glad I didn't limit myself getting something else. I will be using this controller with all of my future systems and I honestly don't even know if it's possible to outgrow.
did you have to buy additional stuff from neptune to be able to monitor the float switches? how many can you monitor or control without having to buy more modules?

Back