Which cycle starter?

Charris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting my tank with live sand and dry “life” rock to kick off my fishless cycle I’m going to need an additive. I’ve heard great things about microbacter 7 and dr Tim’s. Who has a favorite and why? Thanks in advance!!

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Dr Tims, If you order from them you can ask for the ammonia as well, they will give it for free. i like it cause its easy and works and i dont have to keep treating. ive used it in all my tanks. I use most of there products when i have issues. there is a video somewhere with Mark Callahan and Dr Tim, its a pretty good video.

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting my tank with live sand and dry “life” rock to kick off my fishless cycle I’m going to need an additive. I’ve heard great things about microbacter 7 and dr Tim’s. Who has a favorite and why? Thanks in advance!!
I've always used Dr. Tim's with great success. I usually overdose a little. I've heard that the Micro works well but I haven't used it.

Timothy McMeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my newest tank with raw table shrimp I got from the grocery store. Bought a pounds
cooked all but 2 peices for myself for dinner and tossed the other in the tank.

It was a cheap solution to get the cycle started.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dr Tims although pricey is the ticket.
Fritz turbo zyme 900 also great but smelly

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my cycle with a shrimp from the grocery store. I put the raw shrimp in the tank for 3 days. Worked very well,and only cost $0.79

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Table shrimp is the way i always go. Cheap, always works and built in ghost feeder. What else could you ask for. Oh patients which is something reefers need anyways

Tried Dr Tim’s once must of got the dud cause it didn’t work. After 2 weeks added a shrimp.

good luck with your choice
Matt

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the dr tims you still need a ammonia source. If you do table shrimp its best to put it in a media bag, it will make a mess if you dont.

OP
OP
Charris

Charris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I’m gonna try the Dr Tims path. I found a helpful “recipe” page too. Hopefully that and a ton of patience will do the trick!

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Dr. Tims, its expensive though. This time around im using microbacter7 due to WWC using it religiously and seeing their results. And also because its cheaper. I added one whole bottle in a brute container in november with my 40lb of dry rock, and i've been ghost feeding it. I'm about to pull it out of the brute container and get the rock in the tank this weekend, when i do i will add another bottle of microbacter7 and continue to ghost feed it for another 4 weeks in the tank before i transfer my fish over to it.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like microbactor7 better. I put ammonia in and used dr tims and ammonia didn't lower after a 2 weeks, then I added MB7 and ammonia was reduced after 2 days. Could be the combination of the two or coincidence, Im not sure.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Dr. Tims, its expensive though. This time around im using microbacter7 due to WWC using it religiously and seeing their results. And also because its cheaper. I added one whole bottle in a brute container in november with my 40lb of dry rock, and i've been ghost feeding it. I'm about to pull it out of the brute container and get the rock in the tank this weekend, when i do i will add another bottle of microbacter7 and continue to ghost feed it for another 4 weeks in the tank before i transfer my fish over to it.

I dont think thats correct on the dosing for new aquaria. I think its suposed to be a capfull to 25gals. everyday for 2 weeks.

Medium- to High-nutrient Systems, or to seed Biological Filtration in new aquaria:
To effectively decrease the concentration of available nutrients and waste material in all marine and freshwater aquaria, add 5 ml (1 capful) per 25 US-gallons (94.6 L) [≈4 drops per gallon (3.8 L)] of aquarium water daily for the first two weeks of use; the impact that MicrōBacter7 has on an aquarium is most evident within this period. Turn protein skimming and UV-sterilization off for a period of 4 hours following addition to aquaria. A noticeable difference in water clarity is typically apparent within 30-minutes of dosing. Follow same instructions for new aquarium start-up. Thereafter, switch to “low-nutrient” dosage (below).

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think thats correct on the dosing for new aquaria. I think its suposed to be a capfull to 25gals.

Only when dosing it regularly in an established aquarium i believe. Every video i saw from BRS and WWC they just dump a whole bottle in, in the beginning of the cycle of rocks, and another bottle when in the tank. Either way, cant hurt, its just beneficial bacteria.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back