which direction to go for lights

CrazyCatMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in need of a new light and am pretty much clueless on what to choose. The tank is a red sea reefer 450 that currently has 3 kessil a360's. For the last couple months one of them has had an odd flicker to it. After doing some troubleshooting and swapping it with the center light the issue is much more noticeable so i have decided to replace it - theyre well past warranty. Overall the tank is 90% lps, 4 sps (lepto, 2 cyphastrea, montipoa), a bubble tip anemone, and random zoas here and there, Current light schedule is below

10am - 5pm 10% color 50% intensity
5pm - 7pm ramps down to 0% color 5% intensity
7pm - 8pm 0% color 5% intensity

The lights are 5.5" off of the water due to the point of sale gooseneck setup that barley has any reach. Overall this seems to work. Corals grow and look good. I think they could look better but for simplicity sake I have left the settings alone and stuck with the above. What I would like to do is keep 1 kessil at each "end" and replace the center light with something different. Currently the tank does not look fully lit and vivid. While the open areas are well lit there *appears* to be poor light coverage and dim areas. Although I think most of this is attributed to how low the lights sit? I have little to no interest in purchasing another kessil to replace this one, and have looked at a few different lights but wanted some input before purchasing. Going into a local store and looking isnt an option. 1 local store has kessil, the other has current usa.

I have been reading up on the xr15 blue, hydra 32 and hydra 64. I looked into the redsea 90 a bit but do not want the headache of issues. What really caught my eye with the radion and hydra lights is the ability to use the WWC presets. While I know every tank is different the idea is that it will give me a good starting point rather than adjusting and hoping for the best. I believe the hydra 64 would be overkill output wise but would the dimensions and layout give me better coverage/less shadowed looking areas/less spot light effect?

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in need of a new light and am pretty much clueless on what to choose. The tank is a red sea reefer 450 that currently has 3 kessil a360's. For the last couple months one of them has had an odd flicker to it. After doing some troubleshooting and swapping it with the center light the issue is much more noticeable so i have decided to replace it - theyre well past warranty. Overall the tank is 90% lps, 4 sps (lepto, 2 cyphastrea, montipoa), a bubble tip anemone, and random zoas here and there, Current light schedule is below

10am - 5pm 10% color 50% intensity
5pm - 7pm ramps down to 0% color 5% intensity
7pm - 8pm 0% color 5% intensity

The lights are 5.5" off of the water due to the point of sale gooseneck setup that barley has any reach. Overall this seems to work. Corals grow and look good. I think they could look better but for simplicity sake I have left the settings alone and stuck with the above. What I would like to do is keep 1 kessil at each "end" and replace the center light with something different. Currently the tank does not look fully lit and vivid. While the open areas are well lit there *appears* to be poor light coverage and dim areas. Although I think most of this is attributed to how low the lights sit? I have little to no interest in purchasing another kessil to replace this one, and have looked at a few different lights but wanted some input before purchasing. Going into a local store and looking isnt an option. 1 local store has kessil, the other has current usa.

I have been reading up on the xr15 blue, hydra 32 and hydra 64. I looked into the redsea 90 a bit but do not want the headache of issues. What really caught my eye with the radion and hydra lights is the ability to use the WWC presets. While I know every tank is different the idea is that it will give me a good starting point rather than adjusting and hoping for the best. I believe the hydra 64 would be overkill output wise but would the dimensions and layout give me better coverage/less shadowed looking areas/less spot light effect?
Depends on your budget really. The kessil AP9X and the ATI Straton are really nice lights. The ATI has a built in web server so you can control the lights wireless from anywhere

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well even though they never seem to be in stock anywhere might I suggest a ReefBreeders Photon V2+. Great lights that really cut down on shadowing and completely programmable.
Also the Hydra 32 and 64 use less higher watt LEDs(better, more output per LED) than the Kessil XR15. I'd pick the 32 or 64 over the Kessil, you get more bang for your buck. I own 3 AI Prime 16HDs--love them.

spacemanchris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well even though they never seem to be in stock anywhere might I suggest a ReefBreeders Photon V2+. Great lights that really cut down on shadowing and completely programmable.
Also the Hydra 32 and 64 use less higher watt LEDs(better, more output per LED) than the Kessil XR15. I'd pick the 32 or 64 over the Kessil, you get more bang for your buck. I own 3 AI Prime 16HDs--love them.
I would have to agree! Reefbreeders photon v2+ is an absolute amazing light! Very programmable and customer support is always great with Logan. I get great color, grow rate, and par.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back