Which Dwarf Angelfish? Flame or Coral Beauty?

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gal tank I am cycling right now, and I'm looking into getting a Dwarf Angelfish. Their colors are gorgeous and amazing; I have to have one in my tank!! Though I am taking my chances of having them cramped and pecking at corals, what one would be better compatible and fish friendly? W 17 " L 36" and 30 LB of pukani rock

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a flame Angel for almost 2 years in my 29 BioCube and it's never nipped at a coral or picked on any other fish. That being said not all fish are the same some are just a holes some nice some crave Coral some don't it's hit or miss with the angelfish but I do know five other people with a flame Angel and none of them have had problems either

Fitzty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in a 240. Flame Angel was on my want list and took the chance. Nipped at everything and was a ******* to the coral beauty that I added 4 weeks later. I don’t see him nip corals anymore because I overfeed. Also seemed to relax a bit toward the Beauty. I was scared for a while! Add later in your stocking list.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dwarf flame angel. About a year in my 65g tank. As some will say they never nipped at corals. Mine liked a pulsing xenia. Now a frogspawn. He never touched any corals for the first 4 months of having him. He is not damaging the frogspawn. He maybe just taking a Pod from the branching of the coral. I have taken into consideration from seasoned veterans of the hobby that it is not an if, but more of a when they decide to nip at corals.
You might want to add that fish last to your stock list. If it is #1. It will show anyone who gets added next that he is boss and might continue to do so. I love mine, but if I could go back in time and tell myself this is what is going to happen with him(getting ich twice) and what he will be to other tank mates and corals. I would pick another fish. He was the 3rd nicest looking one out of the 10 I seen in other tanks. Probably the best temperament and what looked good to me for the 3 visits to the LFS before getting him and watching him over an hour each time. He is a pain in the butt somehow everyday. Always chasing my Carberryi Anthias(introduced after the flame a year later). Was starting to bother my Blue Spotted Jawfish, but he stands up for himself. So he won't bother him anymore. The worst part is. He knows he is being a little brat. So me knowing he is doing it on purpose to get under my skin. I want him gone sometimes. He is in my profile picture. If he touches that aussie gold torch in the picture. He will end up as sushi for dinner haha

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gal tank I am cycling right now, and I'm looking into getting a Dwarf Angelfish. Their colors are gorgeous and amazing; I have to have one in my tank!! Though I am taking my chances of having them cramped and pecking at corals, what one would be better compatible and fish friendly? W 17 " L 36" and 30 LB of pukani rock

For a 40 gallon I would say neither. A Pygmy Angel/Cherubfish might work. I know some have had success with them in small tanks, but if you don't want them to be cramped you need a 4 foot long tank IMHO. I had a Flame Angel in my 36 bowfront and he was a jerk to other fish and nipped at my hammer and frogspawn. Not to mention he looked ridiculously cramped in my rockwork. Here is an example:

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most experts would say your tank is much too small for either a flame or coral beauty. Live Aquaria is a good reference and they say 70g is the minimum,

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no, IMO smaller tanks make them frustrated and that is when people seem to have problems with them.
Mine is in a 125 G display with lots of LR, as mentioned above I love her to bits but she can be a little baggage! ;)
Mixed reef, I trust her with corals but she does peck at corals for bits of food and pods sometimes.

DSC_0001 by sshipuk, on Flickr

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son recently gave me his flame angel which he had n his 30 gallon. The flame was cramped and became aggressive. I advised him against adding any dwarf angels to such a small tank, but sometimes even adult kids have to learn the hard way..lol
The flame is behaving itself in my 180 and the red color has gotten better also much brighter. He definitely picks at some of my corals, but no damage thus far.

U

User1

View Badges
I had a Coral Beauty in my 40 breeder. The 40 breeder actually has a pretty good foot print for overall size but it does depend on how full of rock and corals it is. My CB was on the smaller size and probably the bigger fish in the tank. Only other fish was a pair of pajama cardinals, pair of clowns, Azure damsel, and lawnmower blenny. It wasn't packed with rock but I did have 4 rather large hammer corals and about 6 rose bubble tip anemones. Probably the only reason why I picked it up was due to the size and I knew I was moving the tank into a 210 gallon that was finishing up its cycle. I will say while it was in the 40 it was fine and never looked out of place. He did wreck one of my hammers but not by eating - more so by living in and using it for a bed. It picked at the rocks, didn't nip any corals, ate just about everything, fast swimmer, constantly moving, etc.

I also use LA for fish sizing but use it has a reference. At the end of the day for me I knew the 40 was temporary but it did work. It was a tough tank to fill because of the foot print and how it can be misleading. If I didn't have an upgrade in the works at the time I probably would have passed on it if truth be told.

OP
OP
Stepheng101

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 40 gallon I would say neither. A Pygmy Angel/Cherubfish might work. I know some have had success with them in small tanks, but if you don't want them to be cramped you need a 4 foot long tank IMHO. I had a Flame Angel in my 36 bowfront and he was a jerk to other fish and nipped at my hammer and frogspawn. Not to mention he looked ridiculously cramped in my rockwork. Here is an example:

I think I'll get that one, pygmy dwarf Angels look cool! Thanks :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back