Which Fixture would YOU run on my tank?

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a quick question for you all as I near closer to getting my tank setup. Out of these two options, which light fixture would you run over my tank?

For starters, the tank is a 100 gallon tank. 60x18x21 (LxWxH). Single corner overflow in the back left corner. Primarily going to be SPS with some LPS down lower, but mostly SPS.

The lights in question are a 6x54w ATI T5ho fixture, or a 8x54w Current T5ho fixture.

I had the 6 bulb ATI that I had traded for in the past, which was going to go on it. I got a killer deal on an 8 bulb Current today, so now I'm not sure which to run. The ATI, of course has less bulbs but better reflectors. The Current has more bulbs, but the reflector is just more of a single reflector that houses all of the bulbs together (instead of the independent reflectors of the ATI). Opinions on which one will have better light output for the tank? I know the more bulbs would be the obvious answer, but it's paired with the lesser reflector. Therefore I didn't know if the lesser amount of bulbs being reflected better would be equal or better to the higher bulb count.

Let me know what you think will have a better light output for my tank, or any experience you have with either fixture.

Thanks!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd sell the ati, pull two tubes out of the middle of the 8 bulb , drill two holes and stick two kessil through on a controller and ramp them and only use the t5 for four to six hours a day so I could extend the daily viewing time and double the life of the tubes.
But I'm an odd duck.

The six bulb at 12 in hanging will get you 7 to 900 par at the top and the 8tube even more. So for a shallower tank both are already a little more power than most need.
Imo.

OP
OP
RDA

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like for the most part the ATI is the preferred light. That's about what I expected but I just wanted to make sure before I made any decisions. Sounds like I'll get the ATI rigged up and see how it works out. Thanks everyone for the opinions.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back