Which goes first?

TrekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it there an order for adding water, sand, and rock? Should the aquascaped rock be the first to go in then sand followed by water? Is it no particular order? Just wondering what they typical approach for this is. Want to get a better idea of how I will proceed when I start my build.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes as above the norm way for aqauscaping and if you put the rocks on the sand it's only a matter of time before a sand sifter of some sort will scoop away your foundations and you have a rock fall
That's why for looks and structure best rocks first

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using dry rocks? If so, definitely rock, then sand, then water. It's nice to be able to aquascape the rocks without getting your arms/pits wet and having water drip everywhere. Plus, as mentioned, you want your rocks touching the bottom so your sand sifters cannot get under the rock and shift the pile.

Outside of rock touching bottom, there is technically not a right or wrong order, but that tends to be the best/most preferred order.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it there an order for adding water, sand, and rock? Should the aquascaped rock be the first to go in then sand followed by water? Is it no particular order? Just wondering what they typical approach for this is. Want to get a better idea of how I will proceed when I start my build.

I don't know what kind of sand you are going to add, but I would encourage you to rinse out the cloudiness in the sand before it goes into your tank. Rinsing will save a lot of trouble. There is a thread on HERE

Good on you for asking first! HTh. :)

OP
OP
TrekReefer

TrekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I design the aquascape, then put the sand around it to lock it in place, and then add the water.
This is the sequence I've seen the most. I'll probably end up doing it this way.

OP
OP
TrekReefer

TrekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what kind of sand you are going to add, but I would encourage you to rinse out the cloudiness in the sand before it goes into your tank. Rinsing will save a lot of trouble. There is a thread on HERE

Good on you for asking first! HTh. :)
For my first build I plan to use live sand and maybe live rock too.

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally add the sand first, then the rock, and finally the water. However I do not just lay the rock on the sands surface I will wiggle it down into the sand so it is touching the bottom or very close to. I like knowing that at least at the start there is a decent layer of sand through the whole tank not just where i could get it after adding the rock(s).

OP
OP
TrekReefer

TrekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using dry rocks? If so, definitely rock, then sand, then water. It's nice to be able to aquascape the rocks without getting your arms/pits wet and having water drip everywhere. Plus, as mentioned, you want your rocks touching the bottom so your sand sifters cannot get under the rock and shift the pile.

Outside of rock touching bottom, there is technically not a right or wrong order, but that tends to be the best/most preferred order.
Yeah I'm sure I'll use live sand but the between live and dry rock, not sure. I'm leaning towards dry rock. I know it will look new and doesn't have the bacteria needed but that's what cycling is for right.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about if you're doing a DSB in the display tank? Do you bury the rock under 5" of sand?
I have read that it is still recommended to add foundation rocks that go all the way through the sand to prevent aquascape shifts due to sand being moved out from under the rocks. These can be dry rocks rather than live rock to save cost, and they can either be relatively flat rocks for stability or be rocks with a cut flat side to set on the bottom of the tank.

It seems from my research (and hopefully experience in the next few months) that adding rocks first, then sand around, then water (being careful not to wash sand around too much) is the recommended sequence.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back