Which heaters are good, better, best? We test accuracy and rank them!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you are using an Inkbird controller or a STC1000 controller?

I've seen a lot of comments about these two after the release of this video. I know we are getting an Inkbird in to test and see if we will carry it, but these cheap STC1000's seem to be a hot one as well. (And multipurpose for beer brewers?) ;-)

-Randy

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be great if you started carrying the Inkbirds - I'd rather buy it from you than Amazon. They have a variety of models, so an in depth review of the various options would be nice!

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to Ryan and Randy and the BRS crew for doing these kind of data-driven experiments.

But just to be contrary: I understand why you'd want to be sure your temperature measurement was accurate, but why should we worry about keeping the water temperature steady to with a fraction of a degree, or even a couple degrees? Every time I've been near a reef, I've felt noticeable temperature changes in the same spot even over the span of just a couple minutes, and there's day/night variance too. Have there been any studies that show that a constant aquarium temperature is actually better than not?

If your answer is "because constant is always better" - is that really true? Jim Welsh told me that while developing his alkalinity monitor he hooked it to a controller to keep his alkalinity constant, because "everyone knows" that constant alkalinity is the ideal. But what he found was that he thought his corals looked worse, compared to maintaining a steady baseline but letting the alk do it's normal daily fluctuations.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that I think maintaining an absolutely constant temp is bad, I'm just not convinced it's necessary.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've seen a lot of comments about these two after the release of this video. I know we are getting an Inkbird in to test and see if we will carry it, but these cheap STC1000's seem to be a hot one as well. (And multipurpose for beer brewers?) ;-)

-Randy
Inkbirds seem fairly popular and almost went that route myself until I found the bayite and only because of its form factor.

With the inkbird you could cary DIY kits and prewired versions.

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Randy
I use an inkbird on my QT. I bought an extra temp probe for TTM. Works well.

Dave1045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I purchased a different heater a week before this video came out! lol

"Buy high and Sell Low"- seems to be my luck and the story of my life.

JackalCackal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching starting a reef tank for some time now and just purchased my Pukani rock and some Jager heaters. I just found this video. This is the first thread I have read highlighting the dangers of heaters and is scaring me off a bit. Of course no one wants a fire, but with kids maybe I am even more paranoid? How often do fires happen from this? I do have my budget maxed out with about $4k in orders so this sounds like even more is added to that.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching starting a reef tank for some time now and just purchased my Pukani rock and some Jager heaters. I just found this video. This is the first thread I have read highlighting the dangers of heaters and is scaring me off a bit. Of course no one wants a fire, but with kids maybe I am even more paranoid? How often do fires happen from this? I do have my budget maxed out with about $4k in orders so this sounds like even more is added to that.

You've made good choices on the heaters - does that $4K budget include a controller like Apex or other? Main thing to worry about with heaters is runaway heat when they fail - so at a minimum you want a controller that provides an extra layer of protection against that. Even a relatively inexpensive heater controller if not Apex, etc.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would imagine that fires from submerged heaters are pretty far and few between and the Jager heaters have been a rock solid choice for many reefers over the years. I do agree with @don_chuwish about adding an aquarium controller as an additional layer of redundancy and safety, specifically to protect your investment in the tank as heater failure is a top reason for a tank crash caused by equipment. :)

-Randy

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So you guys brought up an interesting point about the finnex heaters temp probe interference from the heater since it was so close to the heating element. This brings up a question I have long wondered about were the best place to put the apex temp probe to control temp off of? If you put it in the sump and the heater is in the sump wouldn't it be warmer than the water in the tank, especially with all the pumps and other equipment running next to it? I have mine 3-4" down in my overflow box but I often wonder if I am getting the right temp or if heat from my metal halides might be interfering, warmer water rises after all.

THe apex probe should be in the tank (overflow if you prefer) because that is the place where you are trying to maintain the temp. Problem is; if your return pump goes out the temp in the tank will drop and the sump below will continue cooking. Ideally a second probe and an inline ranco in the sump set 2 degrees higher than apex would be able to prevent situation described.

I wouldnt worry about MH affecting your temp readings.....yes heat does rise but with flowing water it's a mute point

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Finnex controller maintains a .08 range.

My JBJ true temp does a full 2 degree swing.

Purchase according to your needs...neither are terrible.

Do you want to power cycle heater less or maintain a narrow range?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone pointed out that the digital controlled finnex titanium tubes will also function as a grounding probe as they have a ground coming from the heating tube. Now if you think that is good or bad seems to be a hot topic....

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone pointed out that the digital controlled finnex titanium tubes will also function as a grounding probe as they have a ground coming from the heating tube. Now if you think that is good or bad seems to be a hot topic....

I had not realized that. Cool.
My two Finnex 300W 'dumb' titanium heaters are controlled by Apex alone - something I'm hoping Santa will help fix with Inkbirds.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My personal concern isnt that a submerged heater is going to set on fire . Just fail on or off and hurt the tank.

JackalCackal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine that fires from submerged heaters are pretty far and few between and the Jager heaters have been a rock solid choice for many reefers over the years. I do agree with @don_chuwish about adding an aquarium controller as an additional layer of redundancy and safety, specifically to protect your investment in the tank as heater failure is a top reason for a tank crash caused by equipment. :)

-Randy

Thanks all, I am going to delay putting the tank all together until I can add the Apex on day 1. I was eventually going to get it anyway. My rock is going to have to cure for a couple months anyway :)

Ezduzt_nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff, but this doesn't test how most are actually placing their heaters. Have you done a test that mimics a heater in the sump laying horizontal? That would be more applicable to my setup.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back