Which HOB Skimmer to Get?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fishninja
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fishninja

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 24, 2015
Messages
700
Reaction score
278
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the market for a skimmer for my jbj 45 gallon aquarium and think that the Hob models are the most efficient without having a sump. However I am overwhelmed on which brand and model is best. I have looked into AquaMaxx, Reef Octopus, and AquaC. Any advice on skimmers would be great thanks!
 
I am in the market for a skimmer for my jbj 45 gallon aquarium and think that the Hob models are the most efficient without having a sump. However I am overwhelmed on which brand and model is best. I have looked into AquaMaxx, Reef Octopus, and AquaC. Any advice on skimmers would be great thanks!

Do you have a sump. Cause your better off getting in sump Skimmer. In my opinion they work less failures
 
Ugh. Well think of a sump at some point. Can even be another 10 gallon tank you buy at Walmart or other g too
 
I used the eshopps HOB skimmer for years and loved it.
 
I've been running the AquaMax on my 33 gal cube. It's a young tank of only 4 months and it seems to be pulling out good skimmate. I have a very low bio load of only 3 fish including a royal gramma, a wrasse and a goby.
 
Will one of Tunze's internal skimmers work in your space? Look at the 9001 and 9004. I also vote for the AquaC's. They use ordinary pumps (nice!), are very adjustable and upgradable, easy to set and clean. Tried and true....what more can you want? :)
 
I can't say enough good things about reef octopus BH 1000. It is a bit testy to get setup, but it pulls a LOT 's crap out. I run one on my 54 corner along with a HOB refugium.
 
I have the Aquamaxx hob-1 on my jbj 30 and I'm very happy with it, it's been running for about 10 + mos. and does a great job.
 
All I can say is I've been using AquaC Remoras on my tanks since 2005. Should tell ya something ;)

How high above the tank does it go including the collection cup? I like the all blacked out look but from looking at videos the skimmer seems to stick out really high above the tank. Also how is the noise level?
 
I have had two cpr bak pak skimmers and been very happy. I do tend to modify them by routing a limewood airstone in to give some additional bubbles. But the design is simple and solid in my opinion.
 
If you go HOB, go Aquamaxx HOB-1 or Reef Octopus Classic BH90 (BH90 is bulky in size but really efficient). If you go internal go Tunze 9004 which is excellent. In my experience the Tunze 9001 in my Biocube 29 was awful. For me it was very difficult to dial in after months of trying and I ended up getting rid of it.
 
I am in the market for a skimmer for my jbj 45 gallon aquarium and think that the Hob models are the most efficient without having a sump. However I am overwhelmed on which brand and model is best. I have looked into AquaMaxx, Reef Octopus, and AquaC. Any advice on skimmers would be great thanks!
Get the Aquamaxx HOB-1 and call it a day :)
I ran it for 2 years and have no complaints.
Worth every penny and built like a tank.
I had a Tunze before the HOB-1 and the Aquamaxx blew away the Tunze.
I think they also have the same one with a micro bubble catcher now :)
 
I had a CRP back pack skimmer. Didn't like it. It was not well built and the pump was not adequate. I replaced it with a reef octopus hob which only cost about $20 more than the CRP but it was many times better built, has a better pump, and worked better. I don't use it all the time anymore just on my QT when I have it set up but it does a decent job. I have no experience with the other brands.
I agree that an insump is better than HOB but HOB is better than no skimmer.
you need to watch the HOB skimmers pretty close. If they overflows they will make a huge mess of stinky skimmate.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new