Which ICP test ? ATI or Triton

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Newbie here with a tank that’s about 1-1/2 years old and I’m thinking of getting an ICP test just to see how things are going. I was thinking of using ATI because it also tests RODI. But I’ve also heard that it take some time because the tests are done in Germany (?). It seems like Triton is done here in US, but I’m not planning to run the Triton method on my tank. Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on which test to use. Thanks in advance!

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used ATI several times with good results. FYI the ATI tests are performed in California I think. They are based in Germany I believe but my tests were done domestically. I chose ATI too because of the fact that they test your RODI water.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton test does reccomend corrections based on triton product, but those can be xreferenced to others. You don't need to be running triton method.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you expand on why that is?

Because 0 ppm TDS RO/DI is rarely an issue of any sort, and when it does concern folks for having silicate, its still not a problem in most cases.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recent ATI test was performed in their German lab and took about 10 days after I mailed samples. Customer service is very responsive btw.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because 0 ppm TDS RO/DI is rarely an issue of any sort, and when it does concern folks for having silicate, its still not a problem in most cases.
Thanks for your explanation. I want to get the RODI test just to verify nothing is sneaking in. I just replaced my sediment and carbon filters, so I figured it was a good time to check.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your explanation. I want to get the RODI test just to verify nothing is sneaking in. I just replaced my sediment and carbon filters, so I figured it was a good time to check.

OK, let us know if there's anything concerning :)

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used ATI several times with good results. FYI the ATI tests are performed in California I think. They are based in Germany I believe but my tests were done domestically. I chose ATI too because of the fact that they test your RODI water.
I believe all test are done in Germany. They just get sent to California and then sent in bulk to Germany due to customs. They give you the option to send it to German direct (it’s quicker) but the sender has to do all the customs clearance themselves. That is how I understood it though.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sending out a couple ATI samples today at 14:30 hours from 06840.

Will post when I get results. I like that they pay the postage, and can just drop them at the post office without getting in line. Will see how long it takes.

I don't like that they don't test Iodine, but whatever.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Newbie here with a tank that’s about 1-1/2 years old and I’m thinking of getting an ICP test just to see how things are going. I was thinking of using ATI because it also tests RODI. But I’ve also heard that it take some time because the tests are done in Germany (?). It seems like Triton is done here in US, but I’m not planning to run the Triton method on my tank. Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on which test to use. Thanks in advance!
In a study we (@taricha, @Rick Mathew ) are conducting of ICP vendors, ATI flunked the RODI test in which I spiked an RODI sample with a little Instant Ocean. ATI detected nothing while ICP-Analysis.com detected the elements correctly.

As for the aquarium water test, both ATI and Triton do OK with the elements that are present at more than 1 ppm. The trace element (<1 ppm) analysis from both vendors seems very imprecise, +/- 100% or worse for some elements and results that can range from detected to non-detected.

Take the ICP analysis for trace elements as a rough estimate. @Randy Holmes-Farley has recently commented about this in regards to managing reef aquarium water. I forget which post it was. Maybe he won’t mind repeating himself.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like ATI, I've used the cheaper options in past and results were pretty random on certain things so I have stuck with ATI for the last year and the turn around time seems pretty descent ~10ish days.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sending out a couple ATI samples today at 14:30 hours from 06840.

Will post when I get results. I like that they pay the postage, and can just drop them at the post office without getting in line. Will see how long it takes.

I don't like that they don't test Iodine, but whatever.
Did they stop testing for Iodine? Last test results I go back they reported Iodine?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the ICP analysis for trace elements as a rough estimate. @Randy Holmes-Farley has recently commented about this in regards to managing reef aquarium water. I forget which post it was. Maybe he won’t mind repeating himself.

Probably you are referring to something like this:

The levels of trace elements by ICP do seem susceptible to substantial "errors" for reasons that are not clear. But I do not think any reefers need to know them to better than a factor of +/- 2 anyway.

In the ocean they vary a lot (up to 10x or more) with location and depth and time of year. This is nothing magic about saying that, for example, manganese should be exactly 165 ug/L.

Here's a typical set of examples:

1636652950502.png

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably you are referring to something like this:

The levels of trace elements by ICP do seem susceptible to substantial "errors" for reasons that are not clear. But I do not think any reefers need to know them to better than a factor of +/- 2 anyway.

In the ocean they vary a lot (up to 10x or more) with location and depth and time of year. This is nothing magic about saying that, for example, manganese should be exactly 165 ug/L.

Here's a typical set of examples:

1636652950502.png
Yes, thanks. You repeated exactly what I read in one of your recent posts. So how the heck do you decide on how much to dose when the ocean varies so much and the ICP results can be all over the map for some elements?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back