Which is best for a beginner to dosing?

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a beginner and looking into dosing to improve my coral health
I’ve found two products that seem not too expensive , yet good. I want to keep a variety of soft, LPS and SpS corals
Does anyone have any advice they could give me
TIA :)

25DA0D9B-EA5E-4DDF-9977-10A488DEF1B2.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest some more research on dosing and watching these videos first. The reeflowers is just part of a 2 part balling method of dosing while the coral essentials coral power is a vitamin and amino mixture.
You will also want to test calcium and alkalinity at the minimum if dosing

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest some more research on dosing and watching these videos first. The reeflowers is just part of a 2 part balling method of dosing while the coral essentials coral power is a vitamin and amino mixture.
You will also want to test calcium and alkalinity at the minimum if dosing
To be honest I’m not really wanting to ‘dose’ as a whole thing just add something to the water to ‘feed’ the corals and make them happier
I do have Calc and Alk tests though so that’s not a problem

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that case i would suggest using live phytoplankton to feed the aquarium once a day, usually right after lights out.
Dosing ca/alk is critical to keeping a tank stable though and will grow corals faster than any feedings will (fish poop will keep them fed well enough). It is more important while keeping sps corals but all corals will benefit, if you decide to go down that route

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that case i would suggest using live phytoplankton to feed the aquarium once a day, usually right after lights out.
Dosing ca/alk is critical to keeping a tank stable though and will grow corals faster than any feedings will (fish poop will keep them fed well enough). It is more important while keeping sps corals but all corals will benefit, if you decide to go down that route
Thank you, I will have a look into the calc and Alk but I don’t want to start anything too tricky just yet, I’ve only just got my first non soft coral lol :face-with-tears-of-joy:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, i wouldnt worry about dosing at all then. People stress food more than it is actually helpful. Especially with soft corals, nitrates will mostly feed them

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, i wouldnt worry about dosing at all then. People stress food more than it is actually helpful. Especially with soft corals, nitrates will mostly feed them
Ah ok, is that the case for lps and SpS too ? My aim is to enhance the growth of my coral

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, is that the case for lps and SpS too ? My aim is to enhance the growth of my coral

Adding trace elements is only desirable if they are gettign depleted. Too much can be as bad as too little.

If you want to try a trace element method without measuring, pick a reliable brand and dose it and look for a benefit. Tropic Marine trace elements might be a decent place to start.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding trace elements is only desirable if they are gettign depleted. Too much can be as bad as too little.

If you want to try a trace element method without measuring, pick a reliable brand and dose it and look for a benefit. Tropic Marine trace elements might be a decent place to start.
Great, I will have a look into just some coral food or growth supplements then, thank you!

Back