Which is Better for GHL: iPad or Windows Tablet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if GHL products function better with an iPad vs a Windows operating system? ...or does it matter? If so, are there any features you would recommend, and/or, do you have a specific recommendation for a model? (I know little about them but want to get one on Black Friday).
Thanks.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any device that has web access will allow you to log in using a web browser.
Apple or Android app will require the correct device for the app.
A Windows based device will allow you to use GCC either with a USB if available or Wi-Fi.
I have no idea if GCC will run on a Windows tablet. I would tend to think it won't.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently only use the app on my iPhone and web on my Mac. Curious to see what everyone else says about the iPad vs. Windows tablet.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any device that has web access will allow you to log in using a web browser.
Apple or Android app will require the correct device for the app.
A Windows based device will allow you to use GCC either with a USB if available or Wi-Fi.
I have no idea if GCC will run on a Windows tablet. I would tend to think it won't.
Would you mind explaining what you mean by "Apple or Android app will require the correct device for the app."

I have a computer near the P4 connected by USB so I only need a Apple or Android tablet to take the place of my phone and the TOUCH.

I'm just trying to figure out which one to buy: Apple or Android? Is it correct to say that an Android will allow me to use both GHL CC and GHL Connect but the Apple will only allow GHL Connect?

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind explaining what you mean by "Apple or Android app will require the correct device for the app."

I have a computer near the P4 connected by USB so I only need a Apple or Android tablet to take the place of my phone and the TOUCH.

I'm just trying to figure out which one to buy: Apple or Android? Is it correct to say that an Android will allow me to use both GHL CC and GHL Connect but the Apple will only allow GHL Connect?
Apple will require the GHL Connect app from the Apple App Store and the same holds true for the Android, it will need it's specific app to work with it's operating system.
The GHL GCC will only work with a pc. I'm not sure it will work with a windows based tablet.
I use my iPhone to log in via GHL Connect, and both my MAC at home and my Windows PC at work to log into myGHL web page.
I have an old iPad that I use at the tank that's logged into the local web page with only the tiles I need.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, @Member No 1

It seems like the Android might be the most versatile choice then, but I'm also wondering if anyone can compare the two (Android and Apple) as far as connectivity and/or other problems associated with GHL?

My iphone 11 seems horrible with GHL Connect. It freezes often and I have to reboot the phone and many times the charts don't load. This is another reason I'm leaning toward Android, but I might be allowing myself to be misled (because I'm not 100% sure that my "problems" are the fault of the iphone 11).

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, @Member No 1

It seems like the Android might be the most versatile choice then, but I'm also wondering if anyone can compare the two (Android and Apple) as far as connectivity and/or other problems associated with GHL?

My iphone 11 seems horrible with GHL Connect. It freezes often and I have to reboot the phone and many times the charts don't load. This is another reason I'm leaning toward Android, but I might be allowing myself to be misled (because I'm not 100% sure that my "problems" are the fault of the iphone 11).
I use an iPhone, no issues at all.
One thing I will mention, you can have different desk top layouts (tiles) on different devices. My mac/pc has all the tiles shown. However on my iPhone I only have the tiles that I absolutely need. I don't use charts on my iPhone.
The fewer tiles you have use, the faster the app will load.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a IPAD Pro 11” as well as an Iphone 10 to access the my GHL system with. Both have worked well in the latest versions. Once in a while when I can’t connect I need to restart the P4. Also to get it to work faster turn off the charts.

I also use GCC on a windows laptop when doing major changes and backing up the P4. I find GCC to be easier to do major work in than the apps.

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ same as him! windows laptop when making major changes, iphone when cruising around the house. at my water change station i have a kindle fire there to manage that while im in the laundry room. nothing better than naked water changes!

Untitled by shaun s., on Flickr

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 and although it has only been 2 days, it seems to be loading charts with no problems, unlike my iphone 11. (The iphone constantly freezes or fails to load charts. I have to reboot the phone, then it usually works). I will give them both more time before making a final evaluation.

I'd like to ask for some rather basic "computer" help if someone wouldn't mind: I'm having a problem loading the GHL Control Center to the tablet.

I downloaded GHLControlCenter_V1129.exe but when I click on it a window comes up that asks for "Application to use on task run". I loaded Adobe Acrobat but that doesn't seem to run it. Can anybody tell me what I need to do from here to get the program to load?
Thank you.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 and although it has only been 2 days, it seems to be loading charts with no problems, unlike my iphone 11. (The iphone constantly freezes or fails to load charts. I have to reboot the phone, then it usually works). I will give them both more time before making a final evaluation.

I'd like to ask for some rather basic "computer" help if someone wouldn't mind: I'm having a problem loading the GHL Control Center to the tablet.

I downloaded GHLControlCenter_V1129.exe but when I click on it a window comes up that asks for "Application to use on task run". I loaded Adobe Acrobat but that doesn't seem to run it. Can anybody tell me what I need to do from here to get the program to load?
Thank you.
Need clarification please.
What device are you trying to load GCC to? You said “tablet”. Is it a windows 10 tablet? GCC is made to run in the windows environment.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need clarification please.
What device are you trying to load GCC to? You said “tablet”. Is it a windows 10 tablet? GCC is made to run in the windows environment.
Its a 2020 Galaxy Tab A7, so I'm assuming it is Windows 10.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it’s android
I'm sorry. I am as bad as one can be when it comes to computers, wifi etc. I thought everything was either MAC or Android. Did I make a mistake by not getting a Windows? (I always say that anyone over 60 gets a "pass" when it comes to computer technology!) :)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 5 main operating systems used in the consumer market now.
MAC, IOS, Android, Windows and Linux (this is least used)

Most tablets and phones run on Android. Apple products that are tablets and phones run on IOS. Apple computers run on MAC. Most consumer computers, laptops and PC tablets run on Windows 10.

Being over 60 is NOT a valid excuse to choosing not to learn. It’s just a cop out. I’m 56 so not there but I am learning as much if not more today as I did as a school age kid.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being over 60 is NOT a valid excuse to choosing not to learn. It’s just a cop out. I’m 56 so not there but I am learning as much if not more today as I did as a school age kid.
I have the same philosophy when it comes to sports: If you don't learn how to play it when you are young, it's tough to catch on later!

But anyway....thanks for the scolding :D .....I do actually try to learn, though.

So....what can I do to get the program loaded?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same philosophy when it comes to sports: If you don't learn how to play it when you are young, it's tough to catch on later!

But anyway....thanks for the scolding :D .....I do actually try to learn, though.

So....what can I do to get the program loaded?
Delete what you downloaded. It won’t run on your tablet. If you want to run GCC you need a Windows operating system computer to run it. You can go buy a new or used windows 10 computer.

If you want to run a GHL application on the tablet you do own go to the link below.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delete what you downloaded. It won’t run on your tablet. If you want to run GCC you need a Windows operating system computer to run it. You can go buy a new or used windows 10 computer.

If you want to run a GHL application on the tablet you do own go to the link below.
Ohhhh no. The reason I bought the Galaxy (rather than ipad) was because I wanted to download both GHLConnect and GHLCC. (I already loaded the Connect with no problem).

Now I have to give the Galaxy to my wife and buy a Windows tablet.....unless I can send it back? :rolleyes:

Thanks for helping

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Windows tablets that should do the job. My best suggestion is find at least one that offers a standard size USB connector. This will allow you to connect direct to your P4 via USB in case an emergency.

This is exactly what I will do.....especially since I opened my big mouth and mentioned my "problem" to my wife. There is no sending it back now! :)

"A happy wife is a happy life"
--Dr. Jim

Thanks again!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back