Which is more beneficial, LED or t5?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Joined
Oct 16, 2012
Messages
5,828
Reaction score
1,885
Location
Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to hear from you guys on your thoughts. I really don't want this to turn into a huge argument, but an intelligent conversation is the goal.

I have read until my eyes bleed about lighting in the past two years. I will agree "LED work" that has been proven by the success of some users. One thing I have never seen claimed is that LED are more beneficial than t5. So.... Are they?
 
A lot of us have studied lighting until our eyes bleed. LED's are getting more advanced all the time, with a more full spectrum of color. IMO unless you have one of those advanced LED lighting systems T5's are better. There are also lots of posts where people have switched to LED and then back again to T5. I have LED over a small tank, T5 over both my bigger tanks, and MH over my frag tank. It's real hard to beat the look of MH with the "God beams". The 100W LED emitters come close. I saw an article recently that stated the reds weren't good for corals?

This isn't the article, but I'll see if I can find it. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature

Here's the one I was looking for. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/red-light-negatively-affects-health-of-stony-coral
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new