Which Mantis?

TheDodoFIsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be setting up a mantis shrimp tank with some low light macro algae and maybe some very easy corals soon and I have a few questions about what shrimp I should get for it. I'm looking at smashers because they seem more personable and I may want to put some small fish in with the shrimp. The tank is slightly smaller than a 40 breeder with like 2 inches taken off of the height and width. Now to the questions.

1# With the peacock mantis shrimp how common is shell rot in adults?

2# Are there any other large outgoing mantis shrimp like the Peacock which are not impossible to find

3# What shrimp have you had the best experience with?

I already know about Roy's website

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not as large as a Peacock, https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/mantis-shrimp-odontodactylus-havanensis/ , have just as much personality if not more. Not as susceptible to shell rot and cheaper to keep fed. G. smithii are available occasionally at BlueZoo and would be on par with the Havanensis.

ETA-- there is a Peacock on todays LA/DD but it doesn't look great imo.

TheFishDodo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not as large as a Peacock, https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/mantis-shrimp-odontodactylus-havanensis/ , have just as much personality if not more. Not as susceptible to shell rot and cheaper to keep fed. G. smithii are available occasionally at BlueZoo and would be on par with the Havanensis.

ETA-- there is a Peacock on todays LA/DD but it doesn't look great imo.
I've heard that Havanensis are not to Hardy but Smithii are pretty cool if I could find a O. Japonicus I would snatch that up but the tank still isnt set up and I neer to buy some more supplies.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't let water quality slip and Havanensis aren't any trouble. I haven't seen a Japonicus offered since stomatopod. com closed way back when.

TheFishDodo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't let water quality slip and Havanensis aren't any trouble. I haven't seen a Japonicus offered since stomatopod. com closed way back when.
Thats good to know about Havanensis but it stinks that Japonicus arnt avaliable amywhere because they really are a beautiful species.

Last edited:

basscataz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the smithii, I got one last month and its a fantastic mantis. Might be too small for a 40ish tank though.

I got mine from thatpetplace.com they have a good selection of mantises when I last I looked.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back