Which method to lower high nitrates?

Which method would you use to lower nitrates?

• Total voters

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey Reefers, I have a 220 gallon mixed reef about four years old. Corals are doing good, but SPS could you some better color. I think the high nitrates are contributing to that. I have tested with Salifert and Red Sea Pro Nitate test kits and both are reading about 50-60 PM. I have a a refugium with Chaeto that has lowered them some, but they seem to stay in that 50 ppm range. So which method would you look to from the poll above, thanks. Brian

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
w9048675ew_1.jpg

RibbonFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think Chaeto should does the job if the refugum is large enough. Upgrade your light into high watt bulb. I use Chaeto and mangrove both for that purpose.

Del’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you keep your nitrate levels, also do you have a sand bed in your system?
Only sand is DT. And I aim for just about the bottom of trusted measurable levels (right about .5) and keep it there. That way those creatures that need it get it, but not high enough to irritate those that don’t like it. That’s what I went for when I ran a LFS and I had success in the late 90’s/early ‘00’s. Remember this one rule I learned...... the reef in nature is extremely stable, but at the same time has dealt with a lot before humans began messing with it. Find where you can keep things stable and stick with it.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because im the only vote here yet for bio pellets.
My main nutrient reduction is my from bio pellet reactor. The decision was because the reactor was on sale when i was looking for a method. After weighting the cost, and work involved pulled the trigger.
Currently at 3/8 cup of biopellets on my 40g with 4ppm no3 last test taken.
I dose my alkalinity every hour to compensate for the drive downward in ph.

skidrow52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AZNo3 a product which is amazing to reduce nitrates , I keep a bottle in hand if needed . Typically nitrates should be down in a properly filtered system and mature system with new systems you can use this product as well, available on many online stores

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nopox is the best I ran gfo trying to get my po4 down from 0.30 still can’t figure out why it was so high and the gfo did nothing, I swichted from gfo to nopox 2 weeks ago and in a week my po4 was 0.02 and was in control and looking the best ever

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always used NoPox (carbon dosing) to good effect and it works very well. I have a high bioload so I also need to use Rhowaphos in a reactor as well for phosphate control.

I trust Red Sea and I dont trust myself or have the confidence with vodka/suger etc but I appreciate they may also work.

Scooter.B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to come off subject. BUT, Where are these polls that you speak of? I do not see them.
Little guidance, Thanx. [emoji854]

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When nitrates build up this shows an adequate autotrophic carrying capacity is present, which is a good thing.
The next question to answer to solve a nitrate build up problem : Why is most ammonia reduced by nitrifiers?
The parameters needed for answering the question are not presented. I suspect this system has a very low phosphate level.
The method to use for removing nitrate without disturbing the existing balance to much is not listed.
The best methods to prevent nitrate may build up are not listed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVReefJunkie

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When nitrates build up this shows an adequate autotrophic carrying capacity is present, which is a good thing.
The next question to answer to solve a nitrate build up problem : Why is most ammonia reduced by nitrifiers?
The parameters needed for answering the question are not presented. I suspect this system has a very low phosphate level.
The method to use for removing nitrate without disturbing the existing balance to much is not listed.
The best methods to prevent nitrate may build up are not listed.
What are your suggested methods you a referring to?
Phosphates are .010-0.15 ppm
Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back