Which oh which salt to use

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just googled a few minutes ago and 225G is $118, thought that was pretty pricey.
It may have went up as a bucket lasts me 12 months. I will check tomorrow when I go to lfs.
Even at $117 for me thats under $10 a month for salt which is not bad for a decent salt.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to go with IO regular as it’s on sale by me and goof numbers. Then go from there thanks everyone
Good choice. As with all salts check alk ca and mag. Adjust if needed. If you get any brown residue in your mixing contaner just drop in a 1/4 cup of rox carbon in a bag and it will pick it all up.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know thank you. I figure first time mixing salt it’s a good brand and for 32 bucks for 160 gallons can’t beat that for now. Once I get further along maybe I’ll switch to something nicer if need be

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know thank you. I figure first time mixing salt it’s a good brand and for 32 bucks for 160 gallons can’t beat that for now. Once I get further along maybe I’ll switch to something nicer if need be
No need to change really.
Good luck and start a build tbread so we can follow.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a build thread going so far. But I do need to update it! Thank you for the reminder

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What salt would you recommend to use for setting up an aquarium?
Instant ocean is perfectly fine and dissolves easily and use by most public aquariums

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean is perfectly fine and dissolves easily and use by most public aquariums
Used by most public aquariums bc IO offers them the best pricing for massive quantities... and IO can use it as their Marketing slogan.

A win-win for both parties

Much like Wilson being the official football of the NFL... and Rawlings the official baseball of MLB

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used by most public aquariums bc IO offers them the best pricing for massive quantities... and IO can use it as there Marketing slogan.

A win-win for both parties

Much like Wilson being the official football of the NFL
I mean it must work pretty well if they are also putting millions of dollars of livestock into it right?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean it must work pretty well if they are also putting millions of dollars of livestock into it right?
Salt is salt for the most part...until you get down to %s of the minor elements

Just like Kraft Mac n Cheese and generic Mac n cheese are both edible food

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Absolutely and I have been to several public aquariums and no mention of Instant Ocean salt. It was at a dealer show when I had my LFS that mention was made and a list shown of aquariums that use their salt. Its mainly due to lower pricing and performance. I personally use Tropic Marin but not afraid to use IO product which I will be going to reef crystals soon

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to IO Reef Crystals about 6 months ago, and have never seen my tank look as good as it does now...I'm loving it and will stick with it...even if as @vetteguy53081 said there may be a price increase.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice. As with all salts check alk ca and mag. Adjust if needed. If you get any brown residue in your mixing contaner just drop in a 1/4 cup of rox carbon in a bag and it will pick it all up.
Agreed. And fwiw, the brown residue does not hurt anything, it's just a binder that sometimes separates during mixing. The times I've seen it at the bottom of the container after a water change, I have never noticed any obvious residue in the tank... it generally sticks to the container.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also get a little brown residue at the bottom of my mixing barrel, better there than in the tank. Been using IO/RC for seven years now and water is always crystal clear until I clean the rocks and sand, have no brown residue collecting any where. Great salt for the price.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I switched to IO Reef Crystals about 6 months ago, and have never seen my tank look as good as it does now...I'm loving it and will stick with it...even if as @vetteguy53081 said there may be a price increase.
Like food and gas- we have to have salt- we have to pay regardless

paul17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good old instant ocean if you plan on using your own trace elements of if you want a all in one reef crystals

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good old instant ocean if you plan on using your own trace elements of if you want a all in one reef crystals
I like the idea of crystal but I dont want the super high ALk and I dont want to have to buffer it. I want to try to be as consistent as possible. So we will see how the IO goes and go from there!

Back