Which oh which salt to use

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to start mixing my own salt. I was getting it from LFS and it was usually around 8 then I got a batch at 13 and didn’t know till after the water change….

I am getting an rodi and my own salt moving forward.

my question is I am trying to use this as weekly water change and not have to dose much. I am looking for dkh of 8-10 ca 450 mg 1400 ish. I know instant ocean is close but I am torn between a few. I’d love IO reef crystal but the dkh seems really high.

anyone have a salt that is very consistent and in the range desired dkh of 8-10 ca 450 mg 1400 ish with trace elements etc

thank you!
This is such an easy choice if you turn off the Salt Hype people.
IO is a no brainer. from Chewy you can set it up on auto buy since your doing auto water changes and get a discount.
My Instant Ocean Salt boxes have been being delivered to me for years automatically. You can't beat the price. I land my for right at $11.00 per 50 gallon bag. ( 50 Gallon bag will mix 45 gallons to 1.026 )
I've been using this salt for over 40 years.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mixed up my first bucket. Got my tank to pretty decent parameters, might have to add a touch of mag and cal but overall looks really solid! Hopefully the instant ocean keeps it up ;) jk

salinty: 35
temp:78.8
alk: 10.454
Ca: 405
Mg: 1290
Nitrate: 10
Phos: .1

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use hw-MarineMix Reefer salt as it mixes fast and clear, and it's almost the exact same numbers (cal, alk, mag) as I run in my tanks.

IMO, if you dose you can be much less picky about salt. If you rely on water changes to keep your numbers in range, then get a good salt that has everything you need and mixes where you'd like to keep your tank.

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly, get enough reef crystals for the next 10 years then it will all be consistent cause it was manufactured at the exact same time

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use hw-MarineMix Reefer salt as it mixes fast and clear, and it's almost the exact same numbers (cal, alk, mag) as I run in my tanks.

IMO, if you dose you can be much less picky about salt. If you rely on water changes to keep your numbers in range, then get a good salt that has everything you need and mixes where you'd like to keep your tank.
Ya I do have the ability to dose. I just wanted to not if possible, but this gets me pretty darn close so I cant complain.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly, get enough reef crystals for the next 10 years then it will all be consistent cause it was manufactured at the exact same time
I didnt want reef crystal because the alk is just too high to me. But I may go back and get another bucket or two of the IO so it should last a couple years or so

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now run seachem aquavitro salinity. Look it up as its close to your numbers plus the bucket is cool.
I am using that salt but thinking of switching. Mine leaves the residue in the mixing container and mixes cloudy. My calcium has been 415 and alk around 7 with magnesium 1250 when mixing to 1.026 sp gravity

Mateusz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've used Tropic (and then it had issues including me), I used Red Sea and once that had issues like a decade ago, i forget what the issue was. I've used Fritz and they are the worst and most inconsistent brand i've ever seen. I've used ESV and it's probably the best because you have to combine all the components but it's a heck of alot of work and needs to be measured out so it can be a big turn off, and then you have the classic stuff like Instant Ocean or Reef Crystal. RC is way too high on the alk and such, so I just don't even bother with it, but i'm back to using IO again and I don't think i'm gonna switch again. The only thing that sucked about IO is having to clean my mixing bin every so often as it would deposit brown crud which I like to call "flavoring".... but it causes absolutely no harm.

Thanksfully the LFS near me offers IO at a really cheap price so it's still the cheapest, but I was told there was a price hike because last box I got was $5 more than before costing me $55.

I'm no expert but my corals have never responded poorly to a WC from IO whereas others have seen issues in the past.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started using the 2 little fish accurasea salt.
I like that it comes in the individual bags to mix up perfect 4.5g of water and there is no settling that happens in buckets if you forgot to shake them up. I make my 4.5g of water mix that in and i dont even need to do the game of add little salt little water to get it right. its spot on at 35ppt

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using IO for 2 water changes so not a huge test but I have had 0 residue. I do mix it at 77 and over night with a strong pump

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using the 2 little fish accurasea salt.
I like that it comes in the individual bags to mix up perfect 4.5g of water and there is no settling that happens in buckets if you forgot to shake them up. I make my 4.5g of water mix that in and i dont even need to do the game of add little salt little water to get it right. its spot on at 35ppt
See...i started with that being a newbie almost a year ago...it was good at 1st, but then my corals kept dying, fish were fine....once I switched to Reef Crystals, Tank took off! ....I agree on the simplicity of use for 2LF instant salt and loved it...but man oh man....has my tank never been better since switching to RC... and it's not hard to mix either.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying the new Sea 90 salt coming straight out of the Sea of Cortez. I like it. I think it has helped me get a dino issue under control. How can you improve on natural ocean salt right out of mother nature. There has been some speculation that the new synthetic salts promote dino. When I had to change water with IO the dino seemed to really love it. This salt sample, they gave me to try after contacting them for natural salt because I wanted to try anything to end my misery, I think is helping me to end a dino battle. I also run UV. Only two salts on the market are natural sea salt and that is Sea 90 and Red Sea which is a blend. The Sea 90 salt will be out for sale starting March 1st. Make sure you only buy their bag marked for Sea life as they have other formulations they produce. This salt for sea life is pure nothing added just right out of the Sea of Cortez. They sell salt to the big farms, large aquaculture facilities in Cali, and restaurants. I have a mixed reef and everything is looking great. Their salt has rigorous testing, as I noted they sell to restaurants. I just thought I would share my experience using an all from nature salt. It does not mix clear at first, but once in the tank, your water quickly goes back to crystal clear.
1677615707968.png

Back