Which pico tank is better

BRS

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
So I am getting a new pico tank kit from BucePlant that is either a UNS 5S or a UNS 25S, both are 2 gallons and come with a UNS x ONF led light. The only real difference between the tanks is the dimensions, the 5S is 14.17" x 8.66" x 4.72" compared to the 25S is 9.84" x 9.84" x 4.92". Stocking wise I just want some zoas honestly, a little zoa or rock flower tidepool with maybe a "display" invert but no fish as it is too small.

Here is a picture of the 5S
uns-5s-2-gallon-ultra-clear-rimless-aquarium-kit-13734837387345.jpg

Compared to the 25S
uns-25s-2-gallon-ultra-clear-rimless-aquarium-kit-13734830964817.jpg

As stated above both come with the light so all I need is a filter/flow option, I already have an archae 25W heater that comes with a built-in thermostat. Does anyone have any recommendations for stocking this little tank? I might wait for a new substrate to be released or try out Brightwells KoraLagoon for a different, more natural look that will also help with possibly growing macro algae

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Top off is truly going to be a challenge

being away for even up to 72 hours from the tank will be the biggest hurdle how are you handling that portion

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
I have this thing for auto top-off. It´s not esthetic put keeps salinity stable in my 5 gallon picos.

I actually built an internal sump with 2 mm acrylic. It´s less expensive than buying an AIO. Diagram is in Spanish, but you can see where the biological filtration, heater (black) and return pump are. In first chamber I was going to put initially mechanical but I just dumped more biological.

Attachments

• IMG_8607.jpg
    IMG_8607.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8607-dia.jpg
    IMG_8607-dia.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 10
OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
I have this thing for auto top-off. It´s not esthetic put keeps salinity stable in my 5 gallon picos.

I actually built an internal sump with 2 mm acrylic. It´s less expensive than buying an AIO. Diagram is in Spanish, but you can see where the biological filtration, heater (black) and return pump are. In first chamber I was going to put initially mechanical but I just dumped more biological.

They have the same one on amazon that I might try out. Aliexpress just seems "sketchy" to me

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The picture makes that 25s look much taller than the 5s, but dims really only .2 different? Based on the pic seems way taller, weird. I think I'd go with the 5s. Bigger floor print, which I think would give you some more flexibility for scape, plus a cooler top down view.

OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
I think that's what I'm going to end up doing. Maybe even get some real ocean rock this time too

BRS

Would you consider your tank to be balanced or lopsided when it comes to coral?

• Balanced Mixed Reef

Votes: 105 31.8%
  • Lopsided SPS

Votes: 68 20.6%
  • Lopsided LPS

Votes: 72 21.8%
  • Lopsided Zoanthids

Votes: 23 7.0%
  • Lopdsided Soft Corals

Votes: 48 14.5%
  • Lopsided NPS

Votes: 1 0.3%