Which powerhead do you recommend for a nano 20 gallon?

WhalesLovePineapple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a powerhead for my nuvo 20 and there’s so many models and brands on the market. Im considering cobalt maxi jet, but I’m not sure which model to get.

What do you recommend?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hydor koralia pumps are great little pumps that don't cost a fortune and work great :) Might be worth looking into :)

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a rough guide you want around a 20X turnover rate, so for a 20 (US) gallon tank that's about 400 GPH/ 1500LPH. Looks like the highest Cobalt powerhead is the MJ1200 at 295 GPH, which is too low. You could run multiple powerheads (but that's an extra thing in the tank, an extra plug, etc - not ideal for a nano). I'd shop around and use 400GPH as a benchmark, and check some of the build threads to see what other people find popular.

You could also use a powerheard which is adjustable around that mark, which is good if you will have any corals particularly sensitive to finding the right flow conditions - Jebao do a low cost range of controllable powerheads.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a rough guide you want around a 20X turnover rate, so for a 20 (US) gallon tank that's about 400 GPH/ 1500LPH. Looks like the highest Cobalt powerhead is the MJ1200 at 295 GPH, which is too low. You could run multiple powerheads (but that's an extra thing in the tank, an extra plug, etc - not ideal for a nano). I'd shop around and use 400GPH as a benchmark, and check some of the build threads to see what other people find popular.

You could also use a powerheard which is adjustable around that mark, which is good if you will have any corals particularly sensitive to finding the right flow conditions - Jebao do a low cost range of controllable powerheads.

flow rate is completely subjective. depends on what you want the flow for and what’s stocked in the tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 176 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back