which protien skimmer to purchase?

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a 150 gallon system. any recommendation as to the best in sump protein skimmer out there? need a footprint of no more than 9" x 12"

Thanks

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a 150 gallon system. any recommendation as to the best in sump protein skimmer out there? need a footprint of no more than 9" x 12"

Thanks
Vertex 180i. Mine is one seriously strong bubble making machine and the quietest skimmer I have ever owned.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of these are pretty equivalent. I’m partial to the reef octopus and nyos skimmers. I think the reef octopus is the biggest bank for the buck. Nyos if you like nice things and quiet.

Performance wise all skimmers are pretty much the same. My bubbleking was about the same as my deltec. The reef octopus and nyos though aren’t very finicky. You can just trust them to run forever.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of these are pretty equivalent. I’m partial to the reef octopus and nyos skimmers. I think the reef octopus is the biggest bank for the buck. Nyos if you like nice things and quiet.

Performance wise all skimmers are pretty much the same. My bubbleking was about the same as my deltec. The reef octopus and nyos though aren’t very finicky. You can just trust them to run forever.
For the buck I agree with you. At more than twice what the Reef Octopus costs I was very hesitant to spend the money. If money is not an issue though I recommend it. The video below shows the skimmer out of the box and after a vinegar bath.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back