Which salinity tool would you trust?

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hi everyone,

Just want to get other people’s opinions about this. I have a hanna salinity checker that I calibrate with the Hanna salinity 35 ppt packets that expire 04/2027. I have an instant ocean hydrometer. I ordered some hydrometer calibration solution coming this week. And I have a refractomer from Amazon that was calibrated with continuum 35 ppt refractometer calibration solution that expires 05/2027. All three tools are giving me different salinities. I just did a water change and utilized the new refractometer (calibrated first) to get my water to 1.026, just slightly below the 35 ppt mark, ~34.5. The Hanna (freshly calibrated with fresh calibration packet) is giving me 31.6 = 1.0238. The instant ocean hydrometer is giving me ~ 1.0243 (slightly less than halfway between 1.024 and 1.025). I realize all of these have an accuracy range. Hanna is ±1.0 ppt ±1.0 PSU. I can’t seem to locate the accuracy of my refractometer or the hydrometer. The Hanna and refractometer are not within 1.0 ppt of each other. I’d like to know if my tank water is actually at 1.0238 or 1.026, given that it’s a decent range. I’m sure everything would be fine at either salinity, but it would be nice to know. Which tool would you trust?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Update: tested hanna 35 ppt calibration solution on refractometer. It measures 26 ppt = 1.0196. Poured Hanna calibration packets into hydrometer and got 1.021. So it would appear that the Hanna calibration packets are bad.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to hydrometer you use?

In my opinion it is the most accurate tool but be prepared to receive a broken one if you order because they are fragile especially in the hands of ups or etc.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just tested hanna 35 ppt calibration solution with my Milwaukee refractometer that I zeroed with rodi, and it was 1.019. Seems these Hanna packets are bad.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a high precision hydrometer from tropic Marin. I use this to measure my tank water, then use my tank water to calibrate all other devices (hanna, apex, etc.) with the hydrometer reading.
This is the answer.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: tested hanna 35 ppt calibration solution on refractometer. It measures 26 ppt = 1.0196. Poured Hanna calibration packets into hydrometer and got 1.021. So it would appear that the Hanna calibration packets are bad.

The Hanna salinity checker measures conductivity. So the calibration packet is set for conductivityl. Refraction and density measurements will be incorrect. But it’s not an issue with the Hanna packets

Also to answer your question about which to trust think about significant figures when measuring. Let’s just call it 1.025 for your refractometer, 1.024 for Hanna, and 1.024 for your hydrometer. The difference is 0.001 or less than 0.10% (0.001/1.024 * 100)

I think you’re fine

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I took a vacation to a Carribean reef or to a Pacific Isle I try to take my SeaTest swing arm hydrometer and dip it in a few different locations to calibrate my technique and to see what kind of water issues they are having on these reefs. The swing arm is almost level, with little variation in all of the natural settings. I used to bring it to the LFS to bother folks with it. These "plastic pieces of junk" can work fine if you have calibrated them properly.

If I wasn't so clumsy I would still have a glass hydrometer to use all the time but I generally leave it in the cabinet (somewhere) because I have broken so many of them over the years. I like the fact that the hydrometer and swing arm both have no electrical circuits to calculate the density of the water, they just float and tell us what Archimedes described with reliable precision.

Boat Swim GIF by DEEPSYSTEM
As you can see, a swing arm is a thing of beauty and near perfection when used properly. :cool: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::p

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I use this exclusively now. I have other test equipment but this is my go to. I zero it with steam distilled water to zero as per instructions. I use Randy's salt calibration solution for cross reference. Always been spot on.
I will make Randy’s calibration solution to check as well.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The Hanna salinity checker measures conductivity. So the calibration packet is set for conductivityl. Refraction and density measurements will be incorrect. But it’s not an issue with the Hanna packets

Also to answer your question about which to trust think about significant figures when measuring. Let’s just call it 1.025 for your refractometer, 1.024 for Hanna, and 1.024 for your hydrometer. The difference is 0.001 or less than 0.10% (0.001/1.024 * 100)

I think you’re fine
Refractometer is at 1.026, so it’s 0.002 off from Hanna and hydrometer. Just trying to determine which one is correct, but I see what you’re saying.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think making Randy’s salinity calibration solution is a great idea. I can use that to test the hydrometer, the refractometer, the Milwaukee, and the Hanna. I realize whether it’s 1.024 or 1.026, it’s fine, but I’d prefer to be at 1.026. Haha so if I can help it, I’d like to know. I’ll also buy the high precision hydrometer. I’m a perfectionist and control freak to a fault, so…

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think making Randy’s salinity calibration solution is a great idea. I can use that to test the hydrometer, the refractometer, the Milwaukee, and the Hanna. I realize whether it’s 1.024 or 1.026, it’s fine, but I’d prefer to be at 1.026. Haha so if I can help it, I’d like to know. I’ll also buy the high precision hydrometer. I’m a perfectionist and control freak to a fault, so…
If you want that level of confidence in your measurements make sure to adjust for temperature on your hydrometer and refractometer.

I would also suggest the Milwaukee digital meter and the Tropic Marin hydrometer

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If you want that level of confidence in your measurements make sure to adjust for temperature on your hydrometer and refractometer.

I would also suggest the Milwaukee digital meter and the Tropic Marin hydrometer
I have the Milwaukee digital meter. It read 1.025, so between the hydrometer reading and the refractometer reading. I’m going to order the tropic marin hydrometer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Anyone know what the equivalent salinity is for a refractometer or hydrometer using a 35 ppt conductivity calibration solution?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back