Which salt should i switch to?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from Fritz to Red Sea blue bucket a few months ago. My montis looked like garbage with fritz for some reason. My colors almost immediately improved after switching. The params being almost spot on what I Run is what made me choose Red Sea blue.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix Red Sea. Blue and Coral pro 50/50

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to also checkout this vid review from bulkreefsupply.

I was using Red Sea Blue Bucket but now using ESV which is not on your list.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is also supposed to be pharmaceutical ingredients, except they also batch test. Problem I have with salinity is very few people carry it and they don't allow online orders.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can verify HW Marinemix Reefer's consistency. At least so far, I've only had two boxes though.

Tim
I've been through about 10 boxes in the last year or two since I switched. I check the alk every time I make ASW, and it's dead-on 9.0 dkH every time. It also mixes clear in 70 deg F water in about 20 minutes with no residue.

charlie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why isn’t there a salt that has more “common” parameters like 8.0 alk, 450 cal and 1350 mag. It’s either 2 of 3 of the parameters that are in the common values but not all 3. I understand some run different parameters in there own tanks, reason being why I mentioned common for most reefers. I myself use the RS coral blue bucket, but for some reason testing fresh mixed water the alk has been coming up short at 7dkh. And this is after following exact direction as stated on the bucket. Therefore, I’m having to dose a little to bring up the alk to match my tank parameters which is 8.3

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm experimenting with Tropic Marin Pro (about half way through my second bucket) and it mixes up at the following for me:

Salinity - 35.2ppt
Alk - 7.7 dKh
Ca - 390ppm
Mg - 1365ppm

I've used Instant Ocean for a little over three years on this tank before the change (dose muriatic acid to bring the alkalinity down to 7.2ish) and I've noticed zero difference. It's easier since I dont have to dose the muriatic acid but it also costs twice as much (regardless of what BRS wants you to believe in their video). For no observable difference (thus far anyways), I dont see any reason to continue using it but I though it was worth a try with all the salt hoopla going around the forums.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm experimenting with Tropic Marin Pro (about half way through my second bucket) and it mixes up at the following for me:

Salinity - 35.2ppt
Alk - 7.7 dKh
Ca - 390ppm
Mg - 1365ppm

I've used Instant Ocean for a little over three years on this tank before the change (dose muriatic acid to bring the alkalinity down to 7.2ish) and I've noticed zero difference. It's easier since I dont have to dose the muriatic acid but it also costs twice as much (regardless of what BRS wants you to believe in their video). For no observable difference (thus far anyways), I dont see any reason to continue using it but I though it was worth a try with all the salt hoopla going around the forums.

Two and a half months later, same results. I'll be switching back to Instant Ocean once this bucket of Tropic Marin is empty.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two and a half months later, same results. I'll be switching back to Instant Ocean once this bucket of Tropic Marin is empty.

I like my tropic marin pro but my Ca and Mg is a little higher than yours
Alk 7.7
Ca - 420
Mg - 1390-1400

I like it cause I just have to dose 9ml of Alk to 5 gallons and I'm ready to rock and roll

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 146 40.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 183 50.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 8.9%
Back