Which strategy to use to bounce back?

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will freely and shamefully admit that I slacked off and let my tank go. I'd like to whip it back into shape, and the answer to a few of my problems is obviously water changes. Which do you think would be most beneficial? Several small changes a week for a several weeks, or 2-3 larger changes a week to really get that old water swapped out? The tank is 120g with a 40b sump. I have a pipe thingy that I use to siphon water out and I can either siphon out 20g or 10g at a time. I haven't done any testing yet, but I can look around at the cyano, the pathetic unhappy SPS, and the proliferation of pests (probably because I overfeed to keep an aggression issue under control) to know that my water is diiiiiiiirrrrrrty. I don't want to shock the tank by too much turnover, but I don't want to wait until Christmas for the cyano to go away either. What would you do?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will freely and shamefully admit that I slacked off and let my tank go. I'd like to whip it back into shape, and the answer to a few of my problems is obviously water changes. Which do you think would be most beneficial? Several small changes a week for a several weeks, or 2-3 larger changes a week to really get that old water swapped out? The tank is 120g with a 40b sump. I have a pipe thingy that I use to siphon water out and I can either siphon out 20g or 10g at a time. I haven't done any testing yet, but I can look around at the cyano, the pathetic unhappy SPS, and the proliferation of pests (probably because I overfeed to keep an aggression issue under control) to know that my water is diiiiiiiirrrrrrty. I don't want to shock the tank by too much turnover, but I don't want to wait until Christmas for the cyano to go away either. What would you do?

First, I would test my water parameters to have a baseline (LFSs will test if you can't do all, but might have to call around and might have to pay a little $ for some tests)

Then do water change 10-20%

Then test again (see above).

Then determine what needs work/dosed/whatever... refer to below chart. DO NOT GO FAST - adjusting water should happen over time or that can also harm/kill corals.... It didn't get out of control overnight, and don't try to fix it overnight.

"start where you are, use what you have, do what you can." - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

Attachments

• Water Parameters Chart from Bulk Reef Supply.jpeg
    Water Parameters Chart from Bulk Reef Supply.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this and then walked off to do a 20g water change. Guess I'll dust off my tests kits tomorrow morning when I get off work! :D

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you currently do to control phosphates and nitrates?
I run filter socks, a skimmer, and have chaeto in the sump. I have historically also done regular water changes, but I've been slacking the last several months on that.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets do one of these on it:

it takes one day to turn it around, not a series of days.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing a water change yesterday (~20g on a ~150g system), I did some testing today.

SG 1.026
Amm 0
Nitrites 0.05
Nitrates 20
Phos 0.41
Alk 7.0

Granted, I'm interpreting these results with caution- many of my reagents are expired. But if these are correct, then I think continued water changes will help. The water changes will get rid of those nitrites and bring down the nitrates and phos, and the fresh saltwater will replenish the Alk a bit.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back