Which test kit do you use?

MikeLipyeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As im new to reeefing 8d like to know everyones opinion... i purchased a marin tropic teat kit which testa for ph,kh,ni,na,ammonia.... it cost me £45.... been having issues with my water ammonia level and panicked like mad about my poor clowns as the ammonia was showing as 2ppm!!! Whilst ni was 0,na 0, ph 8.3... I took a sample to my lfs who tested for all the above and it turns out my ph was low at 7.7, my na was 0 my ni was 0.3 and my ammonia was only 0.3!!!! Very relieved but annoyed at tye test kit.

So my lfs use jbl marin pro kit which tests for ph,kh,na,ni,ammonia, co,sia, and many other things.... the jbl kit is over £100 but does this just prove... you get what you pay for regarding reagants

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea for magnesium and calcium and API for nitrates and Kh. I'll probably buy Red Sea for nitrates next time. I have Red Sea alk but find it impossible to read. The API is much easier to read IMO.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

OP
OP
MikeLipyeat

MikeLipyeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definately replacing this piece of crap lol! Has anyone ever used anynof tropic marins products?

OP
OP
MikeLipyeat

MikeLipyeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new jbl marin pro test kit :) makes me feel rather scientific.... ph,kh,nh4, no2, no3,ca,mg,sia2,po4,cu,o2. Will be perfect when corals are in and im fully stocked :)

Attachments

• 1373048949541.jpg
    1373048949541.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 220

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea for no3, po4, ca, mg, and alk, probe for ph. api for ammonia and nitrite but I check those two maybe twice a year.

Feivel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea foundations kit.you get the 3 main ones ... Mag Cal and Alk. Hanna checker for phosphates. Salifert is also a good name in test kits.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Holy cannoli….that looks like the chemistry set Steven Hanulic got for Christmas back in the 60’s. Like any good adolescent boys, we mixed everything together and it was purple and bubbling. We thought it was going to explode, so we dumped it on his cement patio. To the day Steven moved out….years later….that purple stain was still there in the cement.

I think you need a PHD in chemistry to use that kit!

Feivel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the hanna calcium? Whats your procedures? I never get good results using my hanna cal..... Not consistant and Too complicated and finicky for my liking.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hanna ca checker isnt bad. Its just you have to be dead on with measuring things out. Its really sensitive and only tests literally 2 drops of saltwater which leaves room for error. i get pretty good readings with mine.

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any comments on Red Sea alk test vs Hanna alk test I use both but there is always a varied result......

Sometimes by 1.4 dkh

Which one should I believe????

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back