Which type of dino is this (microscope pictures)

Kobooi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dinos on my sand bed since one week now. Started dosing H2O2 and will buy a UV sterilizer.
Would anyone know what type of dinos they are - toxic or not?

dino1.jpg dino2.jpg dino3.jpg dino4.jpg dino5.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like osteoporosis
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
Kobooi

Kobooi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

It got worse over the next 2 days turning down the lights and no UV steriziler. Tank looked like a horror tank, only some blue light and sand and rocks covered by dinos. Yesterday noon I got the UV sterilizer, a Deltec T5 20W to which I connected a Eheim compactOn 1.000 ltrs/hr. The actual throughput I measure is 600 ltrs/hr. I pump from and to the DT (300 ltrs) for now, so I have a turnover rate of 2 x per hour, and at this rate the intensity of UV radiation is 55.000 uW/sec/cm2 according to the manual.

The difference in just 24 hours is astonishing, so much even that 24 hours after starting the UV I turned my lights back to normal. Now, 5 hours after turning my lights back up, there is still no sign of dinos. I'm going to run the UV in the DT for another 24 hours, then move it to the sump, where I will run another week or so at 24 hrs/day and then reduce to 8 hrs/day or so.

From now on, for me a UV sterilizer is a vital piece of equipment in a reef tank.

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

It got worse over the next 2 days turning down the lights and no UV steriziler. Tank looked like a horror tank, only some blue light and sand and rocks covered by dinos. Yesterday noon I got the UV sterilizer, a Deltec T5 20W to which I connected a Eheim compactOn 1.000 ltrs/hr. The actual throughput I measure is 600 ltrs/hr. I pump from and to the DT (300 ltrs) for now, so I have a turnover rate of 2 x per hour, and at this rate the intensity of UV radiation is 55.000 uW/sec/cm2 according to the manual.

The difference in just 24 hours is astonishing, so much even that 24 hours after starting the UV I turned my lights back to normal. Now, 5 hours after turning my lights back up, there is still no sign of dinos. I'm going to run the UV in the DT for another 24 hours, then move it to the sump, where I will run another week or so at 24 hrs/day and then reduce to 8 hrs/day or so.

From now on, for me a UV sterilizer is a vital piece of equipment in a reef tank.
Got anymore updates for us? :)

OP
OP
Kobooi

Kobooi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got anymore updates for us? :)
I moved the UV sterilizer from the DT to the sump yesterday. That took approx 2 hours, while lights on, and during that time dinos started to appear again on the sand. When finally finished, I feared I would need to move it back to the DT. ;) But once the sterilizer was online, it didn't become worse. Overnight the sand cleaned up again, and it's remaining ok during lights on today.

OP
OP
Kobooi

Kobooi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my situation. The Deltec T5 20W UV at 2x turnover (600 l/hour) in the DT and then moved to the sump kept the ostreopsis at bay, but didn't make them completely gone - in the afternoon brown patches in the sand would appear, also showing some small strings. As I had a 2nd UV sterilizer at hand (an Aqua Medic Helix 2.0 18W) I added this one to the DT, with the same turnover rate. For a couple of days the situation remained the same though. I then decreased the turnover on both sterilizers to 1x (300 l/hour). This showed a significant improvement. So, at least in my case, it proves that UV flow is definitely a main factor. At 300 l/hour the Deltec has a radiation intensity of 110.000 uW/sec/cm2. I would estimate the Aqua Medic to be in the same ballpark.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back