Which Wrasse should I choose

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I finally got my Aquaium this week, I am a long way off from buying fish. But I am thinking about what to put in it. I will keep mostly SPS corals, and not sure what else. Out of all the fish I have kept witch is a lot, I have never had a Wrasse. I of course ant something reef safe, and I don't really want a bully. I know some fish are bullys by nature but some times you will get one that can be a modle citizen also.

Thanks for your Answers
90 gallon build

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want something that's functional or more or less pretty to look at?

If you want functional, I would suggest a Hoeven's Wrasse or Christmas Wrasse, they will help keep certain hitchhiking pests at bay. I also think both of them are fairly pretty as well, especially the male Hoeven's Wrasse.

If you want something that is just pretty to look at (for the most part), I would get a fairy wrasse. My favorites are the Lubbock's, McCosker's and Carpenter wrasses.

A leopard wrasse would also be a mostly peaceful addition, they are a bit finicky though so I would wait until you've got plenty of experience under your belt.

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want something that's functional or more or less pretty to look at?

If you want functional, I would suggest a Hoeven's Wrasse or Christmas Wrasse, they will help keep certain hitchhiking pests at bay. I also think both of them are fairly pretty as well, especially the male Hoeven's Wrasse.

If you want something that is just pretty to look at (for the most part), I would get a fairy wrasse. My favorites are the Lubbock's, McCosker's and Carpenter wrasses.

A leopard wrasse would also be a mostly peaceful addition, they are a bit finicky though so I would wait until you've got plenty of experience under your belt.
Thanks for the reply I am thinking just pretty to look at. I have kept many fish in the past but never any Wrasse. And I am just thinking now while i am ordering plumbing pars and assembly lol.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new system! You have many, many option's in a 90. For both pest control and beuty i would look at a Radiant wrasse. For strictly something colorful and friendly I would look at a couple or three Fairy wrasse. there are a ton of options in that category but someof the most beautiful fish you'll ever keep. Be warned though ;) Keeping wrasse is an addiction within this already addictive hobby :)

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radiant Wrasse is a great pest hunter, peaceful and beautiful.

upload_2018-5-11_9-40-15.jpeg

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new system! You have many, many option's in a 90. For both pest control and beuty i would look at a Radiant wrasse. For strictly something colorful and friendly I would look at a couple or three Fairy wrasse. there are a ton of options in that category but someof the most beautiful fish you'll ever keep. Be warned though ;) Keeping wrasse is an addiction within this already addictive hobby :)
Yeah I understand I had an Angel addition had a 300 gallon for awhile, then family trouble sold all 7 tanks, and got out then 3 years ago I made a mistake I went scuba diving in Thailand the reefs looked so good I had to do it again. but this time I keep telling my self stay small lol

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lubbock's fairy wrasse and he is a beautiful fish, but a bit of a pain when feeding corals. I have to be on guard to keep him from stealing food from my LPS.

I've had a yellow coris wrasse, yellowfin flasher wrasse, and Carpenter's flasher wrasse in the past. The yellow coris wasn't worth restocking CUC every few weeks, the yellowfin died in a tank move, and the Carpenter's was overly aggressive towards tank mates. So far, I've liked the Lubbock's the most.

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be clear McCosker's and Carpenter's aren't fairy wrasses. They are in the genus Paracheilinus/flasher wrasses. They are significantly smaller than most fairy wrasses and not as long lived. They would be a great addition to the OP's tank!

It really is up to what appeals to your eye, what you can afford (the sky is the limit) and choosing species that are compatible with each other. (this article by one of our resident wrasse experts will help with the fairy wrasse choices. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/)

Avoid trying to do pairs for Halichoeres, Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus wrasses as they almost always transition from female to male in our tanks which leads to major problems. Multiple males of different species usually works well. Leopard wrasses (Macropharyngodon) can be kept in male/female groups as they are more tolerant and less likely to transition to male...only one male though of any species.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I finally got my Aquaium this week, I am a long way off from buying fish. But I am thinking about what to put in it. I will keep mostly SPS corals, and not sure what else. Out of all the fish I have kept witch is a lot, I have never had a Wrasse. I of course ant something reef safe, and I don't really want a bully. I know some fish are bullys by nature but some times you will get one that can be a modle citizen also.

Thanks for your Answers
90 gallon build

Melanurus Wrasse is a heck of a fish in terms of bang for buck. Just be aware that they will occasionally pick of snails and hermits. Here is a male I had with a juvie:

OP
OP
Mark Gray

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear McCosker's and Carpenter's aren't fairy wrasses. They are in the genus Paracheilinus/flasher wrasses. They are significantly smaller than most fairy wrasses and not as long lived. They would be a great addition to the OP's tank!

It really is up to what appeals to your eye, what you can afford (the sky is the limit) and choosing species that are compatible with each other. (this article by one of our resident wrasse experts will help with the fairy wrasse choices. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/)

Avoid trying to do pairs for Halichoeres, Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus wrasses as they almost always transition from female to male in our tanks which leads to major problems. Multiple males of different species usually works well. Leopard wrasses (Macropharyngodon) can be kept in male/female groups as they are more tolerant and less likely to transition to male...only one male though of any species.
Interesting I have read a lot aboutg them but I have not seen to much on longevity after they are acclimated and settled. I know some don't transport well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back