White balls in xenia

  • Thread starter Thread starter duberii
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2018
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
607
Location
Glastonbury,CT
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seeing these for a while, but noticed tons more recently. Inside the stalks, and even the frilly part of the polyps, there are these circular white balls. I thought it was sand, but the tank is bare bottom, and the little sand I can't get out for the life of me does not look even remotely similar. They are certainly inside the coral and not on the outside, so if it is some type of egg, it must be living inside the coral. There are also a few places where the balls seem to pile up, and there is a clump of 5-10 of them. It's about time I trim back the xenia, so I'll probably cut most of them out in the process, but I'm curious if anybody else has these/knows what they are.
IMG_4185.jpg
IMG_4186.jpg
IMG_4187.jpg
 
@ReefSquad
That's really cool!
I have never seen something like this on xenia before.
Also, congrats on getting a lot more xenia soon.
thanks! This morning I noticed that a lot of the Xenia babies that were in the frilly part of the polyps are gone… maybe I’m too late to trimming the xenias back. I should get a syringe and lemon juice ready
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new