White Band Disease

Daniel 123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently acquired a good looking red staghorn, upon dipping and inspection I noticed an abscess that was otherwise pretty alarming. Started researching and think this coral has a bacteria disease known as white band disease very similar to white plague. It is a common disease found in staghorn corals, which happens to be responsible for taking out a large part of our coral reefs.
Anyway this particular disease starts at the base of a coral and works it way up each of the branches causing tissue loss. It is identified by the white band formed around this tissue loss at a diameter of a few millimeters to .. centimeters. Here I circled the infection of my now personal coral which I wont be putting in the tank unfortunately. I also am posting another white band disease coral photo to show the similarities and a black band disease photo for identification purposes.

I hope this forewarns and helps others on what to look for pests aside.
Any thoughts?

yOTZb3k.jpg

ARqsMf2.jpg

xHnf7Eg.jpg

4VVHlLB.jpg

OP
OP
D

Daniel 123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater, bucket 2 gallons of 78*F saltwater approx. 1.025 salinity, 80mL of coral revive, 10 minutes of continuous water agitation, rinse in new 78*F bucket salt water and an inspection.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Revive is more of a cleaner than a bug killer. Not saying that's a bad thing, but many of us use a Bayer Dip to kill off all kinds of nasty worms, etc. Rinse, rinse, rinse. And then something like a Coral Revive or Coral RX. And if some sort of damage or tissue recession, then a dip in Lugol's.

OP
OP
D

Daniel 123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Revive is more of a cleaner than a bug killer. Not saying that's a bad thing, but many of us use a Bayer Dip to kill off all kinds of nasty worms, etc. Rinse, rinse, rinse. And then something like a Coral Revive or Coral RX. And if some sort of damage or tissue recession, then a dip in Lugol's.
Thanks Big G, Im aware of the bayer dip and have used it when and if there have been pests I could not identify. In the case of this staghorn 2 starfish fell off. I don't know much about the Lugols though, I see its an Iodine solution, that sounds like the best dip of them all, do critters fall off as well using lugols, or just rtn stn cases? Correct me if im wrong but the way you put it, it seems like this issue is quite a common problem?
What do the photos of the coral look like to you from your experience.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many have had good results using Lugol's for corals with conditions like yours. Doesn't always work; but it gives the coral a chance to heal. Highly recommend Kent's Lugols. The strength of the dose just seems to do the trick in many iffy situations.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back