White base on acro

vito vicari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some guidance. I've had this acropora for about 1.5 months. Tank is 4 months old. I've noticed this frag has developed a white base and a couple of white tips. I'm getting conflicting information telling me its growth. My parameters are as follows:

Alk 7.4 hanna ( started dosing 2 weeks ago so I kept it streamline while I slowly raise it to a preferred level of about 8.5)
calc 465 hanna
mag 1260 salifert
ph 8.2 red sea
salinity 1.025
nitrates 5ppm red sea (checked against it with 2 different tests)
phosphates undetectable salifert

The coral picture was taken this morning under living room lights no lights were on in the tank so it's making it look brown. Under tank lights the coral body is vivid just like I got it

Thank you all for your responses.

20181005_045628.jpg

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They look like new growth to me...

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hard to tell but it looks like the tissue is receding at the bottom. The tips could be new growth but hard to tell.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like STN. I would recommend keeping ALK lower, with lower nutrient levels. If you don't have stony corals or coralline growing then you shouldn't really be dosing yet, IMO. Your tank is fairly new. It'd be best to stick with WC for now to keep levels in check.

OP
OP
V

vito vicari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like STN. I would recommend keeping ALK lower, with lower nutrient levels. If you don't have stony corals or coralline growing then you shouldn't really be dosing yet, IMO. Your tank is fairly new. It'd be best to stick with WC for now to keep levels in check.

Keep alk lower than 7.4?

I have coralline algae starting to grow on parts of my rockwork and cleanup crews shells. I also have several pieces of sps that seem ok. I was doing only WC but I decided to dose because I lose about .2 dog a day currently and it helps keep it stable

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it lower than 8.5. With low NO3 and no detectable Phos a higher alk can burn the corals. The tank is still probably using up minimal amounts. WC will keep things stable until you're seeing decent SPS growth, and lots of coralline. That's when levels drop fast enough to require dosing to maintain them.

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it lower than 8.5. With low NO3 and no detectable Phos a higher alk can burn the corals. The tank is still probably using up minimal amounts. WC will keep things stable until you're seeing decent SPS growth, and lots of coralline. That's when levels drop fast enough to require dosing to maintain them.

Is there any guidance on what to keep alk at with detectable nutrients e.g. 5-10 ppm nitrate, 0.1 ppm phosphate?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back