White blisters with mark in the center

needlehandssoftfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi im new to saltwater and been having issues getting my nitrates below 50ppm. My calcium is at 470 so I'm working on getting that down, I added too much PurpleUp it seems. My citron goby has a few blister-like marks on his sides near his fins. Both sides, about same area. They are different sizes and his left side has centered dots and right side two little bumps inside the white part. I see 3 or 4 smaller ones on the pictured side and only one on the other. Only thing I could find was it possibly being lymphocystis?

20220912_122414.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't Lymphocystis. The blanched area around a focal point can be a bacterial infection, but more commonly it is a reaction to a coral sting or a bristle worm spine. What else is in the tank with it?

Jay

OP
OP
N

needlehandssoftfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't Lymphocystis. The blanched area around a focal point can be a bacterial infection, but more commonly it is a reaction to a coral sting or a bristle worm spine. What else is in the tank with it?

Jay
How do fish get bacterial infections?

I only have a zoa frag in there so far. I did dip, but it still brought in some spionid worms and amphipods. The citron does like to hang out on the rocks, so maybe there are bristle worms too?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial infections on the skin almost always start with some injury. They can just start up on their own, but is pretty rare. Still, it doesn’t sound like you tank has anything to really cause a sting.
Hopefully, this will get better on its own, because to treat it, you would need to dose it with antibiotics in a treatment tank. As long as the fish is still eating and not showing any other physical symptoms, I would just keep an eye on it for now.
Jay

OP
OP
N

needlehandssoftfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial infections on the skin almost always start with some injury. They can just start up on their own, but is pretty rare. Still, it doesn’t sound like you tank has anything to really cause a sting.
Hopefully, this will get better on its own, because to treat it, you would need to dose it with antibiotics in a treatment tank. As long as the fish is still eating and not showing any other physical symptoms, I would just keep an eye on it for now.
Jay
Thank you Jay you've been very helpful. I'll keep an eye out for bristle worms, wouldn't be surprised if there was a third hitchhiker

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back