White Blob Of Foulness?

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking around my tank the other day and noticed some white growths in areas of the tank I don't normally take the time to look at. I decided to see if I could remove the biggest blob and got it mostly intact. It smells like rotten egg/fettered meat. It's growing on the sand bed in dark areas and in crevices in the rock in directly lit areas. Any idea what this could be? Only things I've changed lately is I pulled the carbon from my fluval 207 and added more bio media and changed salts (reg instant ocean to reef crystals), though none of this could have had anything to do with it as it was while doing the water change/filter cleaning that I noticed them. It's pretty easy to remove from the rock/sand as a turkey baster was enough to pull some out of one of the deeper crevices of the rocks.

20220520_192217.jpg
20220521_213426.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Would a sponge pretty much disintegrate when touched though? It was almost like picking up a sack of mucus and started falling apart while I was trying to get it in the measuring cup. Think almost done but still runny egg whites. And if all the fits the description of a sponge, is it likely to get sponges starting with dry rock and no cross contamination from other tanks besides three frag plugs?

I don't mean to come across as argumentative, but I've heard of bacteria issues when aerosols are in use and my wife and I vape. I want to believe it's just sponges, but I've got something nagging in the back of my mind that won't let me jump onto the sponge train yet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish are in the tank?

From the description it almost sounds like a cocoon sack from a sleeping wrasse. The pictures don't look like that though.
Two ocellaris clowns and a yellow watchman goby. Besides that there's some trochus snails and a mix of blue and red leg hermits

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shanasman450

Shanasman450

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe a dumb question, but could it be the remains/corpse of a tank inhabitant that has decomposed?
My initial thoughts exactly. Problem with that is that we've only had two hermit deaths (both red legs). We started out with four of each and four snails. All the snails have been accounted for, as well as all four blue legs. The two red leg deaths I've caught and removed the remains before decomp really started. Besides that, there are so many individual growths of this slime that if each one were a carcass, we wouldn't have any livestock in the tank at all.

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 84 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back