White bumps on Clownfish

overhal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1.JPG

My smaller clownfish showed up with those two (maybe 3) dots about 4 days ago. There was no new fish in the tank in the past 2 months. Only the BTA and a frogspawn is new to the tank (introduced them about 3 weeks ago).
The bigger clownfish and the fridmani have no dots on them.

They are all eating as much as they can and there is no weird behavior on the affected clown...

Should I be worried?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

1.JPG

My smaller clownfish showed up with those two (maybe 3) dots about 4 days ago. There was no new fish in the tank in the past 2 months. Only the BTA and a frogspawn is new to the tank (introduced them about 3 weeks ago).

They are all eating as much as they can and there is no weird behavior on the affected clown...

Should I be worried?

Looks like secondary bacterial lesions and may be associated with brooklynella but pics a little blurry to confirm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1.JPG

Should I be worried?

The video is pretty pixelated - but it looks like they could just be damaged scales. Clownfish often bicker with one another, and if the larger one bit at this one, it would be over in a split second, so you'd not see it happen.

This doesn't look like any of the regular contagious diseases to me.

Jay

OP
OP
overhal

overhal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is pretty pixelated - but it looks like they could just be damaged scales. Clownfish often bicker with one another, and if the larger one bit at this one, it would be over in a split second, so you'd not see it happen.

This doesn't look like any of the regular contagious diseases to me.

Jay
Sorry about the quality guys, see if this helps:

The bigger clownfish bites him sometimes, I hope you are right and he is in good shape!

OP
OP
overhal

overhal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
After a couple days the dots vanished, and today both clownfish have them:

Any ideas on what is happening? :(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
After a couple days the dots vanished, and today both clownfish have them:

Any ideas on what is happening? :(

Some of the spots I see are too large to be ich, but some of the smaller ones could be. They look different than the ones in the previous video, those looked like damaged scales, these look more like white raised nodules.

The larger ones could be mucus plugs (a reaction to stress) but I can't rule out ich for some of the smaller spots. Do you have any options for treating these fish in an aquarium without invertebrates present?

Jay

OP
OP
overhal

overhal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the spots I see are too large to be ich, but some of the smaller ones could be. They look different than the ones in the previous video, those looked like damaged scales, these look more like white raised nodules.

The larger ones could be mucus plugs (a reaction to stress) but I can't rule out ich for some of the smaller spots. Do you have any options for treating these fish in an aquarium without invertebrates present?

Jay
I do have a smaller tank, I could set it up to treat them if necessary (but only saturday :()

Two days ago I was rearranging some corals and the clowns attacked me a lot (they never did it so intensely).
Maybe you are right that this might be mucus plugs, I will post an update video later.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back