White bumps on fire fish and banggai

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, a few days ago these raised white bumps appeared on my fire fish, my banggai also has white dots but less pronounced. These two fish in particular spend a lot of time in contact with each other for whatever reason, so maybe it’s contact contagious? I set up a quarantine for both of them and gave the fire fish a 5 minute freshwater dip and these white flakes became extremely pronounced until eventually falling off. What are these? Google says maybe flukes or ich. I have two clownfish in the DT but they seem perfectly fine. Should I take them out anyway? Most of the flakes appear to have dropped off the fire fish but should i dip once again to be sure? Sorry for all the questions

4E86CB84-E7DA-4E2E-84FF-CD54F7AE0915.jpeg CC78B855-AFC5-4C95-BBEE-B8D4B6F397F3.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    31 MB
OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, a few days ago these raised white bumps appeared on my fire fish, my banggai also has white dots but less pronounced. These two fish in particular spend a lot of time in contact with each other for whatever reason, so maybe it’s contact contagious? I set up a quarantine for both of them and gave the fire fish a 5 minute freshwater dip and these white flakes became extremely pronounced until eventually falling off. What are these? Google says maybe flukes or ich. I have two clownfish in the DT but they seem perfectly fine. Should I take them out anyway? Most of the flakes appear to have dropped off the fire fish but should i dip once again to be sure? Sorry for all the questions

4E86CB84-E7DA-4E2E-84FF-CD54F7AE0915.jpeg CC78B855-AFC5-4C95-BBEE-B8D4B6F397F3.jpeg
Display rank parameters :
1.026 sg
0 ammonia
0 Nitrite
10 ppm Nitrate
79-81 degrees

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

These appear to be flukes and you can give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip the same temperature as display tank to offer the fish temporary relief and allow some of them to further drop off.
For treatment in QT, use to be safe , 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These appear to be flukes and you can give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip the same temperature as display tank to offer the fish temporary relief and allow some of them to further drop off.
For treatment in QT, use to be safe , 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite
Thank you for the reply! Use to be safe? Not getting anything when I look that up unless it's a typo. Use that medicine at 85 percent dosage every day for 8 days water change then do it again if I am correct. There are many prazi products out there do you recommend any in particular?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for the reply! Use to be safe? Not getting anything when I look that up unless it's a typo. Use that medicine at 85 percent dosage every day for 8 days water change then do it again if I am correct. There are many prazi products out there do you recommend any in particular?
To clarify, apply dosage at 85% to compensate for anything reducing total water volume such as filters, etc. These are delicate fish and 85% assures safe use. One application to last 8 days, water change and one more application

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are Neobenedenia flukes, a pretty severe infestation. @vetteguy53081 gave you the treatment process using Prazipro or Praziquantel powder. You may need to dose a third time, again, 8 days after the second treatment. Be sure to aerate the tank really well during the treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are Neobenedenia flukes, a pretty severe infestation. @vetteguy53081 gave you the treatment process using Prazipro or Praziquantel powder. You may need to dose a third time, again, 8 days after the second treatment. Be sure to aerate the tank really well during the treatment.

Jay
just ordered some should be coming in tomorrow. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just ordered some should be coming in tomorrow. Thanks guys!
current setup just dosed the first set i’ll come back in 8 days or if the fire fish doesn’t make it. The banggai expired unfortunately but we have it a proper send off

Attachments

• 775640A4-15C1-4FEA-ADF6-86A1FF7AB97A.jpeg
    775640A4-15C1-4FEA-ADF6-86A1FF7AB97A.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 21
  • F878C137-D5CC-4C70-90C6-ED6086D1BA16.jpeg
    F878C137-D5CC-4C70-90C6-ED6086D1BA16.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 27
  • CEC33067-8DAA-4263-9EA1-CB92AC8FB640.jpeg
    CEC33067-8DAA-4263-9EA1-CB92AC8FB640.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 6E3D7BF0-47B3-426E-9E6F-CE66881E5FB3.jpeg
    6E3D7BF0-47B3-426E-9E6F-CE66881E5FB3.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
One of my clownfish started what looks like breathing heavy, i gave him a fw dip and almost nothing came out, maybe two or three very small dandruff like flakes barley noticiable. i threw him in the qt and he’s still breathing heavy and sticking to a corner near the heater. i’ll attach a video and a link in case the video doesn’t work. any recommendations on steps i should take as of now? have you or anyone else seen this before by any chance? both gills are breathing heavy not just one like i’ve seen online with full flukes. the fire fish is doing fine by the way like weirdly healthy

Attachments

• 3FA1DD8E-937B-42AE-86BF-224C48BDFBAD.jpeg
    3FA1DD8E-937B-42AE-86BF-224C48BDFBAD.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5378.MOV
    56.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clownfish started what looks like breathing heavy, i gave him a fw dip and almost nothing came out, maybe two or three very small dandruff like flakes barley noticiable. i threw him in the qt and he’s still breathing heavy and sticking to a corner near the heater. i’ll attach a video and a link in case the video doesn’t work. any recommendations on steps i should take as of now? have you or anyone else seen this before by any chance? both gills are breathing heavy not just one like i’ve seen online with full flukes. the fire fish is doing fine by the way like weirdly healthy

This clown was treated with praziquantel, right? The tank has good aeration (not just circulation)?
Sometimes, fish get secondary bacterial infections when all the flukes fall off, leaving holes in their skin.
Jay

OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah he didn’t make it :/
to clarify, the qt has an air stone with an oversized filter set on half, i doubt oxygen was the issue. he was breathing heavy so i threw him in the qt that was already on day two of prazi treating my fire fish. my remaining clown in my display is doing perfectly fine, alone with all my corals. Parameters are the same. hopefully this was the worst of it, i’d hate for my remaining clown to fall victim as well.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss and the problems you're having.
Hello, a few days ago these raised white bumps appeared on my fire fish, my banggai also has white dots but less pronounced. These two fish in particular spend a lot of time in contact with each other for whatever reason, so maybe it’s contact contagious? I set up a quarantine for both of them and gave the fire fish a 5 minute freshwater dip What are these?
Worms for sure. But others have diagnosed this.

If these infected fish were in your DT, then the DT likely contains worms.

With that heavy of infestation, be cautious about the fish bleeding out. I know you've lost the fish in question, but just so you know, when the worms leave the fish (worms spasm) during treatment, they leave a hole and if there are enough worms removed at the same time, a fish can bleed out.

OP
OP
Skay

Skay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss and the problems you're having.

Worms for sure. But others have diagnosed this.

If these infected fish were in your DT, then the DT likely contains worms.

With that heavy of infestation, be cautious about the fish bleeding out. I know you've lost the fish in question, but just so you know, when the worms leave the fish (worms spasm) during treatment, they leave a hole and if there are enough worms removed at the same time, a fish can bleed out.
thank you

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back