White cement for diy rock

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in making some dry rock for a new tank and I'm not able to find white Portland cement. I made some test rocks out of the grey stuff and they are very dark so I'm looking for white this time around.

Can't find any locally accept this one at hobby lobby

Not much info on it but do you think this is just regular white cement just branded for crafts?

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a little bit of grey cement in my aquascape, but it was only used as a way to bind the rocks together. I think you should be okay, but I know that some cement additives can quickly raise the pH to levels you don't want in a reef tank. My only concern is that it wouldn't have good pore structure and surface area.

OP
OP
R

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to add extra coarse and coarse salt for pore structure and cure it for a month or 2. I'm not starting the tank till summer so I have time

I've done it before with good results just like any other dry rock but this time I'm going to try and use some left over Fiji pink sand in the rocks and the grey stuff just turns it all grey. Never used the white because I can't get my hands on it. Amazon has some I might just buy. Looks like a guy just splits the bag up into 6lb bags for profit.

In a year or so it won't matter because it will hopefully be covered in coralline but I'm the mean time it would look good.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back