White Cheek Tang and Niger Trigger

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had a 3 inch juvenile Niger Trigger for a few weeks now. He gets along with all my fish. 4 Baby Clowns, 2 Baby Hippo tangs, a flame hawk, and a Purple Dotty back. Today I brought home a 4 inch white cheek Tang that my LFS has been holding for me. Acclimation for about an hour and half on a slow drip, and added him to the tank. He adjusted well and swam around a little. Mostly hiding but I was able to see him. I made sure to give a feeding an hour or 2 prior to adding him so the fish Werner as hungry and to limit aggression. He was in there about 4-5 hours and I was just walking past the tank and noticed the that the White cheek was on its side flowng along the bottom in the current. I freaked out a little, but was able to grab the net quickly and scoop him out before the current took him into the rocks which he was headed. I got a few buckets of pre mixed salt water at the store as well today and was able to revive him in one fo the buckets, moving him back and forth. He had a few nicks on him, tail and dorsal fin, and looked pale as ale! I got him back to, and went to work on trying to get the trigger out of the tank. I eventually lured him into the net and put him in refugium, where he got under the UV filter and nestled in there. I am sure he will be fine with no lights on in there. He been in there a couple of hours and hasn't moved(checked a few times). Got the tang back in the tank, he was disoriented a bit but eventually got into the rocks and has been doing fine. Question for you guys, how long should I wait before I re enter the Trigger? I was going to attempt to get him back in tom marrow afternoon after I do the water change. Let me know if you have had any experience with something like this. By the way, the tang still hasnt eaten anything. Tried feeding a little prior to the battle,but I guess we will see tomorrow morning.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I would add the trigger back... Well done on the revival I'm curious what the next 72 hours look like for it though. Keep us posted..

If you insist on adding back I would fatten the tang up for 30 days or more first.

OP
OP
Darbna

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I wanted to keep the trigger in the sump. How do feed him down there with no light .

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I wanted to keep the trigger in the sump. How do feed him down there with no light .
Buy a clip on LED light on Amazon. That's what I did anyway

OP
OP
Darbna

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update so far, went and got some algae sheets. He wasn't eating at all so ruber band some algae sheets to a rock and he is nibblin away. Colors are bright and his fins are all extended. Gonna do a water change and get the trigger back in later today and see how it goes. I also broke down and bought a 20 Gallon tank so I can get a QT set up. It's pretty obvious if I'm gonna have livestock it's inevitable that one gets sick or need to hold one because aggression. I will update after another 24 hrs.

OP
OP
Darbna

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did a 20 Gallon water change today, cleaned glass and got the trigger back in his home. At first the Tang and trigger were sizing each other up. Fed them some live mysis shrimp, Tang is eating good, been nipping at algae all day too. Before long the Tang was establishing he is dominate and bullied the trigger a little. They settled down some but are still sizing each other up. Gonna let a day go by and if it doesnt stop I am going to pull the trigger as much as I dont want to. Love that little guy and he has a ton of personality. We will see.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it isn't too late before you figure it out. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Darbna

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo, the trigger and tang are getting along pretty good. They are swimming by each other and feeding next to each other both appear to be very relaxed. I see the tang eat a little, but he doesnt come out and chase food like all the other fish in the tank. He kinda hangs back and eats a little. He nips at the algae sheets I mount to rocks, and grabs a few live brine shrimp when I throw them in there, seems healthy but just very shy and a little skittish. I wanted to update anyone who has been following,

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 41 23.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back