OP
OP

03whiteg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I've read the first one, okay well thanks for the help I'll keep you updated and see how he gets on let's hope were just jumping the gun as this is the first day and early days, I've got everything at hand this is the first fish I've ever had that's ate like crazy in the first day and made his self at home so seems weird how I'm all of a sudden now panicking that it has ich I've had this before in a old tank from a powder blue wasn't pleasant so fingers crossed.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I've read the first one, okay well thanks for the help I'll keep you updated and see how he gets on let's hope were just jumping the gun as this is the first day and early days, I've got everything at hand this is the first fish I've ever had that's ate like crazy in the first day and made his self at home so seems weird how I'm all of a sudden now panicking that it has ich I've had this before in a old tank from a powder blue wasn't pleasant so fingers crossed.

crossing fingers for you.

FWIW my powder brown and goldrim ate the first day also! The goldrim ate within minutes! My powder blues usually do. Achilles are a different story...

Keep it fed with nori too for best chance.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos of my tang clan in QT. I have 2 PBT, a white cheek, a powder brown, and an Achilles. They're all juveniles.

You'll notice my white cheek has a large white area like powder browns often do, and is tiny. At this size they're even more difficult to distinguish but notice the yellow spot under the pectoral fins. This large white spot changes to a small dot as they mature. At 5" I would be surprised if yours still has the juvenile markings, but it is certainly possible. My goldrim is probably 2.5-3". My powder brown is about 4.25 for comparison.

All of these Acanthurus tangs are small, the Achilles is transitioning to adult colors as his tiny orange tear drop is getting larger. My other Achilles is in my angel tank and much more striking and larger. My powder blues can be told apart because one has very light colored eyes the other has nearly black eyes.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sorry my regal angel, "Goliath" loves to photobomb...

Next to each other, my powder brown and goldrim tangs have an obvious color difference. The goldrim is a slate grayish almost dark blue, the powder brown is well... brown lol

They're all in QT because I played the odds and released fish from QT too soon and infected my display. Almost lost that Achilles..

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here's a video of ten of my 14 tangs together in the QT

Switch to 720P HD

OP
OP

03whiteg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epic is that two powder blues aka hippo you got there !? My white cheek looks a lot calmer today ? Still eating also here is the picture
9fa8a4854ac61a82b619551c155ffbe6.jpg

OP
OP

03whiteg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank will you be hosting all those tangs in out of interest :)?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epic is that two powder blues aka hippo you got there !? My white cheek looks a lot calmer today ? Still eating also here is the picture
9fa8a4854ac61a82b619551c155ffbe6.jpg

Looks like a dang hybrid! But the lack of a red line confirms it is a goldrim :D

A hippo is a different fish (regal tang) but yes two powder blues.

They will be going in a 180 for a couple years until I move when they will go in to a 10' wall tank.

Lots of heavy skimming and large water changes in the interim haha

OP
OP

03whiteg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah well good luck with all those in the 180 I don't think I'll be having any more fish in my tank maybe another wrasse a mandarin if I can keep my pod population high and maybe a goby, so anyway should I just keep an eye on the tang for now he's swimming around eating seems happy enough the first sign of any itching or spots I'll set my quarantine straight up ?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah well good luck with all those in the 180 I don't think I'll be having any more fish in my tank maybe another wrasse a mandarin if I can keep my pod population high and maybe a goby, so anyway should I just keep an eye on the tang for now he's swimming around eating seems happy enough the first sign of any itching or spots I'll set my quarantine straight up ?
You should set it up now and keep it running indefinitely. Start the cycle.

With all of those fish in my qt I had to change 75-80% of water each day to keep ammonia down. Now I change it once per week or two. Daily large water changes work fine but letting bio filter start is crucial.

I've always overstocked my tanks with great results. The tang police have me on speed dial but I have an exemplary track record with it.

While we are on the topic check out my other 180 Angel tank and 125 wrasse tank also overstocked

Switch to 720P HD again.

Sorry about ugly cyano I couldn't figure out where it came from then I realized I installed my cartridges in the wrong spots on my RODI and TDS of the output was 225. Whoooops.

OP
OP

03whiteg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size quarantine tank is that by the way? was always under the impression that I could just empty the water from my cycled tank into my quarantine fill my display with the new stuff chuck abit of live rock in the quarantine and job a good one ready to go ? Lovely tanks by the way is that a red bubble tip anemone it's so nice :)

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size quarantine tank is that by the way? was always under the impression that I could just empty the water from my cycled tank into my quarantine fill my display with the new stuff chuck abit of live rock in the quarantine and job a good one ready to go ? Lovely tanks by the way is that a red bubble tip anemone it's so nice :)
Just regular rose bubble :)

It's a 55.

I wouldn't use water from display, I would start new and use lots of sponge. Ghost feed it to get things started. You can steal a rock if you want from the display but minimize that because it absorbs medications, and may bring potential parasites with it.

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tell you what I learned from my personal experience with a white cheek tang. I bought a perfectly healthy white cheek tang from a fish store and didn't qt him. I just added him to my perfectly happy tank with numerous happy thriving fish. He ate ferociously as soon as I put him in the tank and I fed him a lot of seaweed weekly. After a couple of weeks he started to look salt dusted and I realized he had velvet. I tried everything from numerous freshwater dips, feeding him garlic, but nothing worked. He went down hill very fast. All my fish died within a few days. From what I've heard when I was researching what to do( this was a couple years ago) white cheek tangs are among the worst of tangs as far as being susceptible to disease. And once they show signs, it most likely already to late. If you don't want to lose other fish you paid a lot of money for, I would take him out now.

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The symptoms he's showing by swimming around fast show he is stressed, and this is a perfect cocktail for ick or velvet.

laineyg6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I did not quarantine it I haven't quarantined any of my tangs and not had a problem I've always seemed to get away with it, what steps should I take then just keep an eye on it over the next few days shouldn't my uv sterilizer take care of ich in free floating form ?

Unfortunately, this is just PURE LUCK that you didn't have any problems. Remember, we can't see what's happening. It's stressful. UV sterilizer will treat the water, not the fish.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this is just PURE LUCK that you didn't have any problems. Remember, we can't see what's happening. It's stressful. UV sterilizer will treat the water, not the fish.
Treat the water poorly, small percentage of it, I might add

OP
OP

03whiteg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 days in eating lovely no signs of ich so lucky again or ?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 days in eating lovely no signs of ich so lucky again or ?

Hopefully so! If you don't find velvet in the next few days within the next 30-60 days he will have ich, almost 100% guaranteed unfortunately

OP
OP

03whiteg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is crazy so how long is the general rule of thumb of quarantining a fish ? Because your saying 60 days ich could show which would mean I'd have to keep the fish quarantined for at least 60 days dang I really didn't know these were so prone to parasites etc

It's a shame cos he's seems really happy with the other tangs eating well nice and fat got a nice place to sleep

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back