White hair like algae ID and advice.

Oceansinmybasement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there I have some new type of algae (or so I think) in my tank and am looking for some help sorting it out. this is a 30g tank about 8 months old, it is a mixed reef in the early stages. theres been a few changes recently that may be a part of the problem. My corals were not growing much and was told to try to increase nutrients by increasing stocking and feeding more, which I did, added a few tank mates and feed more. I also invested in a better lighting system. Now these little white hairs have been around in the tank before but only here and there and my CUC was able to keep it under control. but since I made these changes this algae seems to be growing rampant, CUC cannot keep up and even if I clean it off the glass it comes back within a day. Along with this popping up I noticed that my zoas have been closed up more often making me think they aren't happy with some parameter, but my SPS frag that had STN has began to thrive and completely regrown the tissue lost. So some things are suffering and others are thriving. All parameters in normal limits, nitrates still at 0. I have been dosing magnesium as well but thats been ongoing for some time. just looking for some advice as to what this is and how to manage it. it was difficult to get a good shot but I can try again tommorow. Thanks!

IMG_1983.jpeg IMG_1984.jpeg IMG_1982.jpeg

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop dosing for a little bit to see if that Magnesium is the problem. Usually nature can fix itself. (Sometimes) I have some of that white hairy stuff on a rock of mine from my LFS and it’s not doing any harm so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. If you want just brush it off and you should be fine! Good Luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back