White ?hair / whisker? on Clownfish

  • Thread starter Thread starter ashtoreth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ashtoreth

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2020
Messages
105
Reaction score
23
Location
Pennsylvania
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I discovered today two white thin "hairs" growing out of our bigger female clown's lips. The best way I can describe them is two thin whiskers or stiff hairs (they seem fairly stiff and keep shape / angle as the clown swims). So far, I've not noticed any behavior change in her and we observe her daily so pretty confident this is the first day or two that she's had this. No other fish (we have a Midas blenny, her paired male clown, a firefish and a yellow watchman goby) has been observed to have weird physical things. Can folks help diagnose what this is / if I need to do something to fight this off if it's a parasite or otherwise a problem?

IMG_1758.jpeg
IMG_1755.jpeg
 
Hi! I discovered today two white thin "hairs" growing out of our bigger female clown's lips. The best way I can describe them is two thin whiskers or stiff hairs (they seem fairly stiff and keep shape / angle as the clown swims). So far, I've not noticed any behavior change in her and we observe her daily so pretty confident this is the first day or two that she's had this. No other fish (we have a Midas blenny, her paired male clown, a firefish and a yellow watchman goby) has been observed to have weird physical things. Can folks help diagnose what this is / if I need to do something to fight this off if it's a parasite or otherwise a problem?

IMG_1758.jpeg
IMG_1755.jpeg
Any shrimp in the tank?
Looks like a molt that was ingested, otherwise something it ate. Looks too large to be bristles from a bristleworm but Not ruled out
 
Bristle Worm. My female clown used to battle Bristle Worm. She always recovered in a couple days.
 
Yes, I have a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp. Cleaner shrimp molted maybe a week ago / half a week ago? But if the clownfish was eating a molt, does it make sense that this is still seeable after half a day? We thought it ate something too but noticed it in the morning and it's still there at night...
 
Yes, I have a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp. Cleaner shrimp molted maybe a week ago / half a week ago? But if the clownfish was eating a molt, does it make sense that this is still seeable after half a day? We thought it ate something too but noticed it in the morning and it's still there at night...

I agree, this looks like a foreign body. There isn’t any disease that looks like this. Clowns can get skin tags from fighting, but these look long and narrow to be that.

They do look too thick to be bristleworm spines.

If the fish is still eating, I’d just opt to wait and see.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new