White hairs growing in zoas

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Was curious if anybody knew what exactly is growing on the stalks and head of my zoas. I have had them come and go 3 to 4 times in my tank. No clue what makes then appear or leave. I can tell it irritates the zoas though. Thanks!

Screenshot_20211013-113417_Chrome.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like zoa pox- or Zoa spider eggs. Not a good sign
Dip and then dip in peroxide and return to tank

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not certain, but the hairs look like flesh melting. If it's not POX or spiders I'd send for ICP test, maybe somethings too high or too low causing the flesh to melt.

OP
OP
Grossman90

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm not certain, but the hairs look like flesh melting. If it's not POX or spiders I'd send for ICP test, maybe somethings too high or too low causing the flesh to melt.
Its attached to the flesh. Like i said it comes and goes. 2nd time I've seen it in over a year the tank has been up. Never kills the zoa. Just wish i knew what caused it since i can tell it irritates them to a certain extent. The polyps do open up though.

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it as well on some, I used a q tip and gently scrubbed it off the polyps, I dipped the qtip in peroxide once and lugols just to see if there was a different result but I didn’t see much difference..did get rid of it though. Could never find a solid explanation/diagnosis.

OP
OP
Grossman90

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’ve had it as well on some, I used a q tip and gently scrubbed it off the polyps, I dipped the qtip in peroxide once and lugols just to see if there was a different result but I didn’t see much difference..did get rid of it though. Could never find a solid explanation/diagnosis.
The peroxide worked with qtip? Using a laint brush with them in furan 2 and iodine did nothing.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, this is giving me ptsd.

I had something just like this and it slowly killed a bunch of my zoas. Nothing I did would cure it.

Ended up throwing out the patient zero zoa frag. Others slowly started getting better afterward...

OP
OP
Grossman90

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh no, this is giving me ptsd.

I had something just like this and it slowly killed a bunch of my zoas. Nothing I did would cure it.

Ended up throwing out the patient zero zoa frag. Others slowly started getting better afterward...
The weird thing is this just randomely appears in my tank and goes away. Not sure if its from my water source or a stress related thing. It has appeared both times when i started dosing AB+. Not sure if coincidence or not. Had to stop using it for a while when i got dino and thats when it first left my zoas. Now its back and happens to be after dosing ab+ for 2 weeks. It doesnt kill my zoas but irritates them a bit to where they close up for a little while but opens back up.

OP
OP
Grossman90

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ever figure this out? Having the exact thing happen on and off.
Figured out it was from dosing red sea AB+. Stopped dosing it and it went away. It was the 2nd time it had occured and only popped up when i dosed that.

TateLitts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured out it was from dosing red sea AB+. Stopped dosing it and it went away. It was the 2nd time it had occured and only popped up when i dosed that.
Interesting… I’m not dosing anything so I wonder what might be off.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back