White Mountain Floating Reef (Reefer 350)

whitemountainreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the aquatics industry for 23 years now, been doing commercial/residential aquarium maintenance for the last 6 years, and to my great shame I haven't had a tank in almost a decade. When pressed by my clients why I didn't have a tank at home, the line of song and dance was 'well, a Michelin Star chef doesn't go home and create a five-course meal, he makes a peanut butter and jelly sandwich', and that I just didn't feel like maintaining my own tank after spending the week cleaning other people's tanks. That was partly true, but primarily the reason was just the cost of entry; to do a tank in the size and style that I'd like, with the equipment I'd prefer to use, is an expensive proposition, so I lived my aquarium life vicariously through my client's tanks.

Back in November, one of my clients messaged me and asked what his tank would be worth if he tried to sell it, as he'd had it for a year and could never quite wrap his head around keeping a reef aquarium or using an Apex controller. When informed that a lot of the value of his tank was gone after having had it set up for a year, and giving him an honest number for our market, he asked me to put an APB out to anyone I might know who would want to buy it. Now, being that it was around Christmas time, no one wanted to drop a couple grand on a tank, so it sat in his house until mid-January.

He messaged me at that time to inform me that he'd had a conversation with his wife, and that they were primarily just interested in getting it out of their home, and that if I was able to come pick it up that weekend they would gift me the aquarium and everything attached to it for free. I immediately said yes, as the equipment list was extensive, and made the preparations to get it that weekend. The equipment list when I picked up the tank was as follows:

• Red Sea Reefer 350 V3 in white
  • Red Sea ReefLED 90 x2 with mounting arms
  • Red Sea ReefWave 25 x2
  • Red Sea RSK 300 protein skimmer
  • Reef Octopus Varios 2 return pump
  • Aquatop 300w titanium heater
  • Neptune Systems Apex EL controller
  • Neptune Systems Trident water tester
  • Neptune Systems DOS doser
  • Neptune Systems DDR dual dosing reservoir
  • Neptune Systems ATK auto top off system
  • Various small Neptune Systems add on pieces
  • Acrylic Creations 10 gallon acrylic top off container
  • Misc. food and maintenance supplies
  • CaribSea Life Rock
  • Misc. corals and fish
Here's how the tank sat when I picked it up:

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

I don't particularly care for the Life Rock, as I think it looks unnatural. It's what my shop sells and goes into 99% of the aquariums we set up, but I much prefer to use something like Marco Rocks and just be patient. My friend and I showed up, drained the tank, removed all the sand, stone and livestock, and picked the whole thing up in one piece and set it on some roller dollies, strapped it down and wheeled it out the door of his 4th floor condo. The shop van with the lift gate made the whole endeavor a million times easier, for sure.

IMG_4101.JPG

I traded the livestock and rock back to the shop for credit, and the tank sat in my garage for a month while I tried to find the time to go over it and get it cleaned up, and gathered a few more pieces that I'd need.

I knew I wanted to do an SPS-dominant tank, with a bare bottom. Lots of flow, lots of light. I also knew that I wasn't going to utilize the Trident, DOS or DDR Apex pieces, so those got sold to raise capital for the rest of what I wanted to do. After a little bit of elbow grease and a podcast episode, the tank was back to looking clean and fresh. From there, I measured and cut a piece of textured 1/8" ABS sheet, and siliconed it in place.

IMG_4209.JPG

IMG_4210.JPG

IMG_4213.JPG

Then after weeks of waiting around and doing nothing, it got moved into the house. It looks pretty nice next to my TV, like that spot was made for it, and it matches the entertainment center pretty well too.

IMG_4216.JPG

Looks pretty slick with the lights on as well.

IMG_4218.JPG

Next came what I consider to be the biggest feature of this aquarium, and that was the floating reef. I've always loved the concept of a floating reef, but I've only ever seen in applied to small aquariums and I spent a lot of time mulling over how I'd do it on a larger scale. I sourced a piece of pre-cut 1/2" thick black acrylic from an online vendor, and once it arrived I went about measuring, cutting, drilling and bending it to fit the footprint of the aquascape I wanted to create.

IMG_4292.JPG

IMG_4293.JPG

After letting the silicone that attached it to the rear overflow cure for a week, I set about attaching small anchor rocks to the top to help prevent the aquascape from just sliding off, using rubble pieces from Marco Rocks.

IMG_4335.JPG

And after laying out the Marco Rocks I'd purchased (and getting a helping hand with picking them out from Kilala), I set about putting together the aquascape using Seachem's CoralCrete in gray color to cement the rocks together. It was my first time using the stuff and I was thoroughly impressed with how well it mixed together, and how quickly it set up. The entire scape came out pretty well, though I still need to move some of the smaller pieces around before I'm entirely happy with it.

IMG_4398.JPG

IMG_4397.JPG

IMG_4401.JPG

At this point, I've added a third ReefLED 90 for increased par, and started doing cable management for the Apex install. The original ATO container proved to be too big inside the stand, so I traded it back into the shop and picked up a Trigger Systems Triton 5-gallon ATO container to sit next to the tank. A client is interested in purchasing all three ReefLED 90 lights, both ReefWaves and the skimmer from me for his tank, and if that occurs I'll make the swap over to Radion XR15 Pro's x3, an AquaticLife T5HO hybrid fixture, and an additional pair of MP40's to replace the ReefWaves on the back wall.

The current to-do list for the tank is as follows:
  • Install pair of MP40 powerheads on sides of tank
  • Create model for square filter sock holder to go in place of stock small round filter sock holders, to be printed by Harry's Aquatics
  • Fill tank, mix in salt, dose with Brightwell bacterial supplements
  • Finish cord and Apex management with false wall on right side under stand
  • Etc.
Let me know what you all think. I really should have been making this thread from the start, but oh well, I was lazy and I really can't be held accountable for that otherwise what kind of world would we be living in? IMG_4401.JPG

Last edited:

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great story. Glad a tank has made its way back into your life as an at home hobby. The joys of owning a reef tank are something i honestly dont want to be without anymore.
I'm also a service technician so i know exactly how you feel when its time to come home and work on the tanks, "i just did this all day and now im doing it on my time" lol. I enjoy it nonetheless.

I think your scape is really cool. Smart decision on going for an upgrade on lights. I just recently switched over to all T5s from radions and wont look back. All personal opinion on them. Theyre great lights and do wonderful job, but at the end of the day they just arent for me.

Im surprised you are swapping out the reefwaves. I just bought a reefwave 25 and got it wet yesterday. I am impressed with the kind of flow i am getting out of it. First time also owning a gyre style wavemaker. I still need some time with them to get an honest opinion, but so far its great.

For the ABS board on the bottom of the tank, did you happen to seal that down at all?

OP
OP
W

whitemountainreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great story. Glad a tank has made its way back into your life as an at home hobby. The joys of owning a reef tank are something i honestly dont want to be without anymore.
I'm also a service technician so i know exactly how you feel when its time to come home and work on the tanks, "i just did this all day and now im doing it on my time" lol. I enjoy it nonetheless.

I think your scape is really cool. Smart decision on going for an upgrade on lights. I just recently switched over to all T5s from radions and wont look back. All personal opinion on them. Theyre great lights and do wonderful job, but at the end of the day they just arent for me.

Im surprised you are swapping out the reefwaves. I just bought a reefwave 25 and got it wet yesterday. I am impressed with the kind of flow i am getting out of it. First time also owning a gyre style wavemaker. I still need some time with them to get an honest opinion, but so far its great.

For the ABS board on the bottom of the tank, did you happen to seal that down at all?
I considered keeping the gyres, but the Vortech pumps basically disappear against the back wall and can move quite a bit more water. That and I get a hefty discount from work.

As for the ABS, it was attached with plenty of silicone, and then sealed around the edges with black silicone to prevent anything from getting underneath it.
Looking great. I am excited to see this grow in.
You and me both!

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered keeping the gyres, but the Vortech pumps basically disappear against the back wall and can move quite a bit more water. That and I get a hefty discount from work.

As for the ABS, it was attached with plenty of silicone, and then sealed around the edges with black silicone to prevent anything from getting underneath it.

You and me both!

You and me both!
Thanks, I’ll keep this in mind next time i do a build. I don’t like the idea of no barrier between glass and rock. Gives me a little anxiety. Good luck and I’ll be watching the build.

OP
OP
W

whitemountainreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice floating scape! We look forward to it growing in. Keep up with updates and pics.

Are their any vertical supports or is it just attatched to the back?
No vertical supports, just a 15”x15” square of acrylic heavily siliconed to the overflow box. If it’ll hold with all the rock on there and no water, it’ll definitely hold while under water.

I wanted to avoid vertical supports, as they’re almost impossible to fully hide without using clear acrylic and cleaning them constantly, and I wanted it to appear to be floating with no visible supports.

OP
OP
W

whitemountainreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’ll keep this in mind next time i do a build. I don’t like the idea of no barrier between glass and rock. Gives me a little anxiety. Good luck and I’ll be watching the build.
It also works well even if you’re going to do a sand bed, as it helps keep the glass safe and the rock from slipping around.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have been thinking about a design like yours but I would add vertical supports in the front on each side.
Personaly I would be concerned about the weight.
Anyway I will be following this build.
Great start!

OP
OP
W

whitemountainreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have been thinking about a design like yours but I would add vertical supports in the front on each side.
Personaly I would be concerned about the weight.
Anyway I will be following this build.
Great start!
Thanks! I’ll be keeping a close eye on it during the next week or so that it’ll be sitting dry, and if it looks like it’s coming off the back pane at all I’ll throw some supports on, but I’m feeling pretty good about it staying up there, especially once it’s under water.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’ll be keeping a close eye on it during the next week or so that it’ll be sitting dry, and if it looks like it’s coming off the back pane at all I’ll throw some supports on, but I’m feeling pretty good about it staying up there, especially once it’s under water.
Sounds good. My only worry is when the tanks full and you put it under heavy flow it may flex without support.
A couple piece of black acrylic rods would be good to have in stock. You can slip them under the ends for support. Just my 2 cents worth.

OP
OP
W

whitemountainreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. My only worry is when the tanks full and you put it under heavy flow it may flex without support.
A couple piece of black acrylic rods would be good to have in stock. You can slip them under the ends for support. Just my 2 cents worth.
Worth keeping in mind, I suppose. Ive still got some acrylic left over so it would be nothing to cut some brace pieces out.

OP
OP
W

whitemountainreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia added to the tank using Brightwell Aquatics MicrōBacter QuikCycl, and now it’s time to seed it using their MicrōBacter Start XLM. Then after a month, I’ll seed an Xport Bio Brick with MicrōBacter7 and toss it in the sump to make up for the lack of a sand bed in the tank.

B99A4FD6-E167-498B-A871-0AAC115DD8EB.jpeg

OP
OP
W

whitemountainreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few updates…

Cycle seems to have stalled/is wonky. Sitting at around 15ppm of nitrites right now despite having not added any further ammonia to the tank after the initial dose. Despite three 20 gallons changes, nitrites still staying high and not converting to nitrites. Dosed with some Dr. Tim’s bacteria to try and kick start it again, but so far nothing. I know cycles can take some time, but I would have thought it would have moved by this point.

27720C18-EDE4-414C-9012-19E7FE226F29.jpeg

29915A0C-949B-4A65-A1FF-C2A6EDE54DF1.jpeg

C80243D0-2DD1-4E87-9F30-841FF9404841.jpeg

Swapped out the Red Sea LEDs out for Radion XR15 Pro’s and an Aquatic Life T5 hybrid fixture. Super happy with the amount and quality of light out of the fixture, and the wall mount is nice to have with the hinge to get the light out of the way.

D4A112A1-84DA-40D9-9800-02B0792F495A.jpeg
A0BE335B-6BA6-4C51-968D-2509A43DCBF7.jpeg

21BB76AE-CEB9-4584-B0CB-8C3007ADBC81.jpeg

Plenty of light to hit my mid-200’s PAR target, and up to 450+ if I really give it the beans so lots of head room.

C58003D2-9ECC-4FCF-AB96-EF9BB5FBA562.jpeg
Added sole flow deflectors to the MP40’s on the back wall.

38F42B4F-CB4F-4E73-BBF1-22D5539430E8.jpeg

51285266-4574-44BC-A420-61DBDF1B6865.jpeg E0C58DF6-AAA6-4A13-908A-66AC12AB69D4.jpeg 5CEC6A39-0BA0-489E-801B-842665F985CE.jpeg
Started working on the Voss bottle holder for the dosing; will post more once it’s finished. 96E0994D-90D8-44A6-8CB5-B09350DA59AD.jpeg 425C3B24-B3C8-4494-B1C1-EA9B62EF7712.jpeg CAC76BEB-EC5F-4D31-8745-2DB4A4E75F85.jpeg

OP
OP
W

whitemountainreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1B36A9F3-53F8-4195-AFA2-AB26E263DA6D.jpeg

3ECA1756-0A15-4139-93DB-4E280B3D0A73.jpeg

Finished the Voss bottle holder for dosing using the Red Sea doser. BRC3DPrinting over on Etsy modified their existing bottle holder, eliminating the 1/4” push bulkhead fittings and putting drill guide divots in their place. Just had to drill the holes for the Red Sea nipples and some vacuum break holes and it was good to go. Can’t recommend it enough.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back