White Polyp Toadstool briefly opening during the morning

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

About a week ago, I acquired a White Polyp Toadstool Leather(2" or so frag), it initially popped out quickly and stood straight up with Polyps fully extended but after about 2 days it decided to retract during the day, and has since only opened at morning and night, or just morning. I've tried adapting the light(Reef50 LED) to max out at 20-25% which is what it's typically at in the morning when the polyps do come out.

I imagine this has something to do with light levels, but if I lower them any further, the rest of my corals don't fully 'wake up' and it didn't seem to make a difference for the Toadstool. I could be overreacting, and it's just still adjusting to the new environment and lighting, but I figured I'd post in here to see if anyone else has had similar experiences acclimation Toadstools. All the other corals(LPS & Soft) are doing great, so I don't believe it has anything to do with water parameters at this point.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Toadstools often take a break after a change. Low light shouldn’t be needed for it to open so I feel that is just coincidental. It needs flow, but not blasting more of moderate and alternating. If it isn’t in a really direct flow or dead zone, I would probably just watch it for a few more days up to 7 days.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstools often take a break after a change. Low light shouldn’t be needed for it to open so I feel that is just coincidental. It needs flow, but not blasting more of moderate and alternating. If it isn’t in a really direct flow or dead zone, I would probably just watch it for a few more days up to 7 days.
Thanks for the info! It has been just over 7 days since I got the Toadstool, though admittedly I have moved it around a bit so I'm sure that has delayed the process.

Currently, it is at the bottom of the tank, with low flow. By no means is it a deadzone, you can still see the polyps sway in the flow, but comparatively it is a lower flow area. Though, I am getting a splitter tomorrow for my return pump nozzle which should see that area get increased flow.

I will continue to wait and see how it progresses. It's a really beautiful white poly toadstool, so I'd love to see it thrive and grow large.

Thank you!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Hank, I don't think its lights.

Personally, I would say it prefers med light and med flow, you seem to have it low lights and low flow.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironically, today it stayed open many hours longer than it usually does. It retracted the polys and shrunk up around 2pm. As mentioned, I'll continue to monitor and see if it continues to stay open for more extended periods.

I'll give it another week. Should I try to move it after that point if things haven't changed?

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If there is t a change and it has been in the same place for 2 weeks yes I would try a move. Also keep a close eye on the stalk.

I bought one on an auction and it was much smaller than my other one. They ended up being the same, but it was offered as a green toadstool and shown under blues heavy.

It was acting up, but since my other one does it also I didn’t really pay attention. It had been fine for several weeks. It closed up, and I was planning a big reset on that reef, so did t do anything until I pulled it into my Frag system to do the reset. It had a black “wound” looking spot on the stalk, and it rotted away very quickly at that time.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to report that shortly after I posted this thread, the Toadstool seems to have completely acclimated and almost always have its polyps out and is standing tall. Looks like it was just taking its time to acclimate. All my other corals have only taken a day or two to acclimate so I was just a bit worried for this one but it seems very happy now!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back