White spots on toadstool and no polyp extension for two days

sky414

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2024
Messages
125
Reaction score
77
Location
East Valley Phoenix
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My toadstool leather has white spots and no polyp extension. Some of the threads seem to allude to that it may be shedding or splitting. I just don’t want it to be dying. No other Coral seem to be any different.

Phos - .2 (the lowest it’s ever been)
Nitrates - 11 (the lowest it’s ever been - I’m using nOPOX)

I’m gonna throw some carbon in the sump tonight. Let me know your thoughts.

IMG_7017.jpeg IMG_7016.jpeg
 
Two days, here old my beer.

Sacrophyton has a reputation for not expanding polyps. This coral produces a waxy coating on the crown. The coral needs adequate flow to shed that coating.

Higher flow and lighting, it's acclimating. Typically the coral is hardy but stubborn.
 
The sand is way too clean and I see lots of shadowing, I feel the light is not bright enough, and there's probably not enough flow down at the sand level either, these leathers really like a good amount of flow.
 
Phos - .2 (the lowest it’s ever been)
Nitrates - 11 (the lowest it’s ever been - I’m using nOPOX)

These corals thrive in "dirty" water. Trying to lower these so you can add sps?

Keep lowering and this coral will keep looking funky.
 
I'm guessing light and flow. Mine is growing like crazy with 5-10 ppm nitrates and phosphate averaging .05. Mine get alot of flow. Enough to physically move it back and forth a little.
 
UPDATE: It opened this morning. My LFS said leathers are moody.

I have two diamond gobies and a gold head sleeper goby, but the sand/tank is far from clean. I have some sps, but mostly softies and lps. I just want to see what the tank would look like if the numbers were ever ideal… for me, it seems like that will be an exercise in futility. Thanks again.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7070.jpeg
    IMG_7070.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7071.jpeg
    IMG_7071.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 61

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new