White Protrusion on Bicolor Blenny

  • Thread starter Thread starter mh0ward
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mh0ward

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2023
Messages
330
Reaction score
326
Location
BG
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I noticed this large white spot on my bicolor blenny. It almost looks like a piece of rock or something protruding, so I’m assuming maybe some sort of injury?

IMG_8194.jpeg

IMG_8188.png

IMG_8189.png
Not sure what to do, any advice is greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Forgot to mention he's breathing normally and eating just fine.
 
Last night I noticed this large white spot on my bicolor blenny. It almost looks like a piece of rock or something protruding, so I’m assuming maybe some sort of injury?

IMG_8194.jpeg

IMG_8188.png

IMG_8189.png
Not sure what to do, any advice is greatly appreciated.
Looks like an infection (bacterial) from an injury as you well know, these fish quickly dart into rocks and structures when startled. Assure its healing. If getting red or larger, treat in separate tank using Seachem Neoplex
 
Forgot to mention he's breathing normally and eating just fine.
It does look like an injury. What tankmates are in with it?

That’s a tricky spot for a lesion - if it goes deep enough, the abominable cavity will be breached and peritonitis will set in.
 
It does look like an injury. What tankmates are in with it?

That’s a tricky spot for a lesion - if it goes deep enough, the abominable cavity will be breached and peritonitis will set in.
Tank mates are 2 clownfish, a yellow watchman goby and its pistol shrimp, and various snails/conch/etc. They've all gotten along for the ~18mos they've been in there. Never any aggression, etc toward one another. Occasionally one fish will get spooked by something/nothing, causing all 3 to dart to "safety". The clownfish have been laying eggs every ~2 weeks for the past few months and guard their corner. The male pretty much stays put and the female really only leaves that corner when I feed.

Should I try and catch him and remove whatever it is with tweezers? Or just let it work itself out as he hopefully heals?
 
Tank mates are 2 clownfish, a yellow watchman goby and its pistol shrimp, and various snails/conch/etc. They've all gotten along for the ~18mos they've been in there. Never any aggression, etc toward one another. Occasionally one fish will get spooked by something/nothing, causing all 3 to dart to "safety". The clownfish have been laying eggs every ~2 weeks for the past few months and guard their corner. The male pretty much stays put and the female really only leaves that corner when I feed.

Should I try and catch him and remove whatever it is with tweezers? Or just let it work itself out as he hopefully heals?
No - I would avoid messing with it, too much of a chance of rupturing the body wall.

Treatment in a hospital tank with Neoplex as said, would help avoid secondary bacterial infection.
 
Glad to see this turned out well for your fish!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new