White specks on Valentini Puffer fins

tadrielobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I picked up a Valentini Pufferfish for my new Biocube. The tank was cycled with live rock and sand, and I added the puffer, a margarita snail, 2 Nasarrius snails, and a Trochus snail yesterday. After adding it to the tank, I noticed that my puffer had some tiny white dots on its dorsal and caudal fins. Are these normal color variation, or is it some kind of parasite? My boyfriend keeps freshwater aquariums, and he noted that it reminds him a bit of Ich. If it is some kind of marine parasite, what treatment options would you recommend before I add anything else to the tank?
IMG_8940.jpg
IMG_8942.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yesterday I picked up a Valentini Pufferfish for my new Biocube. The tank was cycled with live rock and sand, and I added the puffer, a margarita snail, 2 Nasarrius snails, and a Trochus snail yesterday. After adding it to the tank, I noticed that my puffer had some tiny white dots on its dorsal and caudal fins. Are these normal color variation, or is it some kind of parasite? My boyfriend keeps freshwater aquariums, and he noted that it reminds him a bit of Ich. If it is some kind of marine parasite, what treatment options would you recommend before I add anything else to the tank?
IMG_8940.jpg
IMG_8942.jpg
Looks like lymphocystis and often associated with poor water quality and/or diet
Assure ammonia- nitrate-salinity-ph are not elevated

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tadrielobrien

tadrielobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lymphocystis and often associated with poor water quality and/or diet
Assure ammonia- nitrate-salinity-ph are not elevated
My nitrates are on the high side at 40 ppm- i'm planning on doing another 20-25% water change tomorrow. Didn't want to stress it out too much with a water change in the first 24 hours. With only the fish and snails in there right now, is 20 ppm of nitrates ok, or should I aim for closer to 10? Thank you for your response!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My nitrates are on the high side at 40 ppm- i'm planning on doing another 20-25% water change tomorrow. Didn't want to stress it out too much with a water change in the first 24 hours. With only the fish and snails in there right now, is 20 ppm of nitrates ok, or should I aim for closer to 10? Thank you for your response!
Yep, water quality and a viable cause

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tadrielobrien

tadrielobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update: The initial spots on her fins faded away after about 2 weeks and have not returned. However, these two large cysts have increased in size since that time. Her appetite is normal (eating anything and everything), and she is still very active and social (helpful for pictures haha). Are these cysts simply a more severe lymphocystis that will go away with time? Parameters have been stable with Ammonia at 0, Nitrites at 0, and Nitrates between 10 and 20.

The cysts really aren't bothering her, but I want to make sure there isn't any treatments I should be doing.
IMG_9035.jpeg
IMG_9033.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tadrielobrien

tadrielobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, water quality and a viable cause
Could you take a look at the photos below and let me know if any treatments should be done? The cysts/tumors have grown significantly in the last month. I have read in some places to try piercing it with a hypodermic needle, but i'm apprehensive about doing that.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Could you take a look at the photos below and let me know if any treatments should be done? The cysts/tumors have grown significantly in the last month. I have read in some places to try piercing it with a hypodermic needle, but i'm apprehensive about doing that.
Thanks for pics. Im focusing on fins and now realize the face has what appears to be tuberculosis type bumps. These will grow if left untreated.
Treatment will be seachem kanaplex or neoplex in a seoerate tank. My preference is kanaplex

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tadrielobrien

tadrielobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for pics. Im focusing on fins and now realize the face has what appears to be tuberculosis type bumps. These will grow if left untreated.
Treatment will be seachem kanaplex or neoplex in a seoerate tank. My preference is kanaplex
Last week I completed my 3rd round of Kanaplex treatment, and while the bumps appear less red the smaller of the two is now bigger. Do you think I should just do more doses of Kanaplex, or do I have to let nature take its course at this point?
Thank you for all of your help!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Last week I completed my 3rd round of Kanaplex treatment, and while the bumps appear less red the smaller of the two is now bigger. Do you think I should just do more doses of Kanaplex, or do I have to let nature take its course at this point?
Thank you for all of your help!
Do one more treatment.
Monitor ammonia level and change water if needed. Temperture at 80 degrees.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back