White splotches on tailspot blenny and clownfish

tranceFusion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the pictures aren't the best, but I'm trying to figure out what is going on with my tailspot blenny and clownfish.

I first noticed the blenny had white spots on it's rear dorsal fin. Initially I thought it was ick, but the spots were only on the spine and seemed to be embedded within rather than on the exterior so I figured it was some sort of growth defect or injury.

However, today I noticed that it had several white splotches on its side that are definitely new, and then a fine spine that was very white looking on the front dorsal. The splotches look flatten or perhaps even slightly sunken - not raised.

I also noticed a white splotch or lesion on my clownfish behind its pectoral fin. I don't know this is necessarily the same issue - the clownfish does get occasionally charged at by the blenny when they think food is about to hit the tank.

Any diagnosis or advice is appreciated.

Other tank mates are:
Several brittle stars, snails, skunk cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, pom pom crab (recent addition) and blue porcelain crab (recent addition).

IMG_3810.JPG IMG_3809.JPG IMG_3808.JPG IMG_3805.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish pictures is a bit too blurry to see. It sometimes helps to take the pictures under white, instead of blue light.

How long have you had the fish and when did you add the latest animal to the tank?

For the blenny, it could be flukes, or it could be an injury (but the fact that the spots are increasing tends to pull me away from that diagnosis).

I don't see any evidence of protozoan disease like ich.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back