White Spot On Coral Beauty?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this Coral Beauty for about two weeks or so, I put him in a QT with copper for about 3 days and he wouldn't eat so I risked it and tossed him into the display. After about a day he was out and eating pods off the wall and the occasional frozen. I noticed him swimming slightly funny, but I have some decent flow moving through the tank and then these white spots showed up on his dorsal fin, and then his right side fin and I am not sure what they are. Doesnt seem to be ick and it doesn't seem to be affecting him It like almost a pimple that is all white on him. I have this video with an orange lens on as once I turn the tank to all white he WILL NOT come out so I can not get a better video. Let me know what you think it could be.

Attachments

• IMG_2893.mp4
    6.2 MB
OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it definitely looks like some sort of infection or pathogen, I would get him back to QT or at least in a quarantine box for observation
Okay, question is I have a purple tang in my 20 gal qt tank so should I add it in there? Or I could set up a 5 gal qt. What would I have to treat it with?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regrettably don’t quarantine so I can’t be super intelligent about this, but I’d think you do not want to put it with another fish. If you have cycled bio media you can use to set it up in your 5 gallon tank, I’d do that asap to avoid risking the rest of your display fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had this Coral Beauty for about two weeks or so, I put him in a QT with copper for about 3 days and he wouldn't eat so I risked it and tossed him into the display. After about a day he was out and eating pods off the wall and the occasional frozen. I noticed him swimming slightly funny, but I have some decent flow moving through the tank and then these white spots showed up on his dorsal fin, and then his right side fin and I am not sure what they are. Doesnt seem to be ick and it doesn't seem to be affecting him It like almost a pimple that is all white on him. I have this video with an orange lens on as once I turn the tank to all white he WILL NOT come out so I can not get a better video. Let me know what you think it could be.
Looks like lymphocystis and likely a reaction to water quality. Once you start a quarantine regimen, finish it as it will be twice the work should a parasite issue develop and it also allows a given disease to gain resistance.
Maintain good water quality and diet for this condition which is viral

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lymphocystis and likely a reaction to water quality. Once you start a quarantine regimen, finish it as it will be twice the work should a parasite issue develop and it also allows a given disease to gain resistance.
Maintain good water quality and diet for this condition which is viral
Gotcha, he came from the lfs with a little white spot on his dorsal fin which I thought to be a nip from another fish, now to discover it isn’t, I have the best water in my display as I am very maticulate wjth it, and he is constantly eating pods in there. Should I leave him in there to avoid stress or is what it has something my other fish can get? If I should quarantine do I just have nice clean water or do I treat the water with anything?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m reading there is no tried and true cures for lymphocystis however best is to have prestine water and a stress free environment, as well as diet as @vetteguy53081 has said. Now, it doesn’t say it is fatal in fish unless it comes in contact with organs. However can be spread fish to fish if other fish touch the affected area. Which brings me to do I pull the guy and give him a lot of stress in a new environment, and getting him out of my reef (as he lives down in the rocks) or do I risk my other fish and see if he can recover in there as he is eating very nicely and is not bullied at all and is a good tank member.

Current fish are pair of clowns and a nice size melanarus wrasse. Which the wrasse are known to have thick slim coats to protect against disease, however clowns do not have the thickest but are extremely hardy.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m reading there is no tried and true cures for lymphocystis however best is to have prestine water and a stress free environment, as well as diet as @vetteguy53081 has said. Now, it doesn’t say it is fatal in fish unless it comes in contact with organs. However can be spread fish to fish if other fish touch the affected area. Which brings me to do I pull the guy and give him a lot of stress in a new environment, and getting him out of my reef (as he lives down in the rocks) or do I risk my other fish and see if he can recover in there as he is eating very nicely and is not bullied at all and is a good tank member.

Current fish are pair of clowns and a nice size melanarus wrasse. Which the wrasse are known to have thick slim coats to protect against disease, however clowns do not have the thickest but are extremely hardy.
Be careful what you read as well as adding any meds which counter your issue. Rarely if ever is lympho fatal as its a condition and not disease.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful what you read as well as adding any meds which counter your issue. Rarely if ever is lympho fatal as it’s a condition and not disease.
So in your opinion would you pull the fish and qt even though it might never go away or just let it live it out in the display and see if it goes away over time?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So in your opinion would you pull the fish and qt even though it might never go away or just let it live it out in the display and see if it goes away over time?
Again, Maintain good water quality (mainly) and diet
Some good foods are Mysis shrimp. spirulina brine shrimp, LRS Fish frenzy, formula 2 frozen and TDO pellets

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back