White spots on new fish.

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have just received my first fish in the mail. He’s currently warming up in the main tank where I have noticed white marks along his body. Is this something I need to worry about ?
9D63D38C-B4AA-489A-9F5E-784AE6EB00BA.jpeg
322B9060-CA28-4276-A792-B279C3538DD5.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have just received my first fish in the mail. He’s currently warming up in the main tank where I have noticed white marks along his body. Is this something I need to worry about ?
9D63D38C-B4AA-489A-9F5E-784AE6EB00BA.jpeg
322B9060-CA28-4276-A792-B279C3538DD5.jpeg
It's best practices to quarantine everything in case you need meds.

But, what type of fish is this?

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi it’s a tail spot blenny. I currently am running carbon in my QT tank as I was treating a fish for a bacterial infection. This fish was due to arrive two weeks ago but due to cold weather was delayed until todays arrival hence it’s all happening at once. I am currently heating new water have no medication If it is ich so would need to buy asap.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi it’s a tail spot blenny. I currently am running carbon in my QT tank as I was treating a fish for a bacterial infection. This fish was due to arrive two weeks ago but due to cold weather was delayed until todays arrival hence it’s all happening at once. I am currently heating new water have no medication If it is ich so would need to buy asap.
So if your QT is up and running put him in there. It's the safest thing to do.
If you think it's ick, you have time.
If it's something else you may not have much time. Either way, it's in QT, and won't effect you main population.
After in QT, you can get some better pics to assess the situation.

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if your QT is up and running put him in there. It's the safest thing to do.
If you think it's ick, you have time.
If it's something else you may not have much time. Either way, it's in QT, and won't effect you main population.
After in QT, you can get some better pics to assess the situation.
Hey thanks. Just wanted to be sure as the store had him on his own from the time I bought him to shipping approx two weeks. I read they can get stress spots. I’ll just wait for the QT tank to warm up. Just nervous about the other fish passing away in there and not having time to disinfect/ clean it.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of just looks like stress markings. Hard to tell by the pictures though. Do you see raised bump spots? So is the plan to put this fish in a qt tank?

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry just another note. The fish store I got him from had him on his own in a small tank for the time
I think so. Just don’t want to infect him with that the other fish passed from. He’s still acclimating to temp in a sealed bag.

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago was the other fish in QT?
Did the other fish actually have something?
Can you clean the QT?
The other fish hurt its self and died from what we think was a bacterial infection. It’s been 3 days since it died and the instructions on the medication tell you to run carbon in the tank for 3/5 days after you’ve finished dosing. So my
Intention was to do that before cleaning it out.

Newbiereefer98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing any signs of ich or velvet in this case. To me this appears just to be a stressed out tailspot blenny. When blennies get stressed, they will lose color as this one is showing along its back. My midas blenny does this when I feed sometime or when I do water changes. For me nothing to worry about, spots should clear once he's settled in the tank. If you had spots on the fins that's when I would worry about ich etc..

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing any signs of ich or velvet in this case. To me this appears just to be a stressed out tailspot blenny. When blennies get stressed, they will lose color as this one is showing along its back. My midas blenny does this when I feed sometime or when I do water changes. For me nothing to worry about, spots should clear once he's settled in the tank. If you had spots on the fins that's when I would worry about ich etc..
Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on that being stress marks. You may also see them at night....

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Although it appears to be stress marks, its often hard to see things through a bag. Always assume a fish has something on it and utilize quarantine than having a tank infected and going through the trouble of tearing display tank apart to get to the given fish.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back