White spots on purple tang, and spring break 5 days away

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just added a couple tangs a few weeks ago to display, after 45 days of copper, metro, prazi. My purple now has some white spots on him, see attached. No other fish do, so do I try and catch him and put him in qt, or ride it out? I am leaving for a week on spring break next Tuesday, so this will be a challenge to do. But also don’t want to come back to $1500 in fish losses.
can also treat the display with Kick Ich from ruby reef. Thoughts?

4EEBDA64-F8B4-4809-83CA-D73C5D5DE75D.jpeg A497FCF9-3A9A-468F-984A-432AA943DCCE.jpeg 7858002D-1424-4363-BCFD-B54743D3FB15.jpeg 914E12B4-3858-4D76-A102-E9031A80F3CB.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have the spots been there? Have they changed position at all?
What level did you keep copper at in qt, what type did you use? Have all fish been quarantined?
This looks like ich to me, but when stressed tangs can also show mucus plugs that look similar to ich and I would want to rule that out.

OP
OP
SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days maybe, he had less a couple days ago. He would get these from time to time, not to this extent though.
I did the 2.5ppm therapeutic recommendation, for 30 days in QT for a white tail and naso with copper power. But this purple has been with me for 5 plus years, so he was not the one QTd. The ones that were introduced do not have any spots.

He is swimming around eating fine at the moment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A few days maybe, he had less a couple days ago. He would get these from time to time, not to this extent though.
I did the 2.5ppm therapeutic recommendation, for 30 days in QT for a white tail and naso with copper power. But this purple has been with me for 5 plus years, so he was not the one QTd. The ones that were introduced do not have any spots.

He is swimming around eating fine at the moment.
These spots appear to be mucus plugs also called cones. Often these arise from skin irritations and affect tangs and more visible on darker colored tangs. As you have two tangs in quarantine already, you might as well add him in with themWith uncertainty of ich or mucus plugs. Best that your tank is fishless for at least 6 weeks to assure nothing is present in the tank causing irritations.
You mentioned treating with copper. To assure you are on track with that treatment, treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These spots appear to be mucus plugs also called cones. Often these arise from skin irritations and affect tangs and more visible on darker colored tangs. As you have two tangs in quarantine already, you might as well add him in with themWith uncertainty of ich or mucus plugs. Best that your tank is fishless for at least 6 weeks to assure nothing is present in the tank causing irritations.
You mentioned treating with copper. To assure you are on track with that treatment, treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Thanks. The hard part is I leave on Spring break in 5 days, so my QT (which is up and running) will be a pain to keep running while gone given water evap, etc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks. The hard part is I leave on Spring break in 5 days, so my QT (which is up and running) will be a pain to keep running while gone given water evap, etc.
family member, fellow student, anyone will be of help. If you place saran wrap loosely over the tank, evaporation will be reduced.

OP
OP
SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after a few days of heavy nori and overall feeding, the spots are disappearing. And all other fish remain clean! Looks like it was the mucus, thanks all for the fast responses. Helped me not make any drastic moves!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%

Back