White Spots on Yellow Longnose Butterfly

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just got this yellow long nose butterfly a . I put it in the quarantine tank then this spots start to appear. It start on one side and now i see on both fins. I dose copper but since i am afraid overdose so i only put 8mL in 10 gallon of water.

IMG_7362.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, I just got this yellow long nose butterfly a . I put it in the quarantine tank then this spots start to appear. It start on one side and now i see on both fins. I dose copper but since i am afraid overdose so i only put 8mL in 10 gallon of water.

IMG_7362.jpg

These type of fish and full size butterflies are susceptible to Lymphocystis. Lympho is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours
Provide pristine water quality and monitor with Reliable test kits and provide good diet high in Omega 3

OP
OP
kopilatte

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so should he stay in quarantine until the problem solved?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would use the standard quarantine protocol - you don't need to change it for lymphocystis. It is a viral infection - as already stated - but - it is self-limiting.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If in QT, assure the water quality is good - Monitor ammonia with a reliable test kit

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If in QT, assure the water quality is good - Monitor ammonia with a reliable test kit
Just to be clear (Question to the op?)- I think he was asking whether he needed to extend quarantine for lymphocystis (I would think not) - nor would I remove a fish from a display tank that developed it - what's your opinion @vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just to be clear (Question to the op?)- I think he was asking whether he needed to extend quarantine for lymphocystis (I would think not) - nor would I remove a fish from a display tank that developed it - what's your opinion @vetteguy53081
That was answered- Can stay in QT and assure water quality is good

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

IMG_7362.jpg

To clarify- No need to extend QT for lympho but monitor ammonia level closely.
How are you monitoring the copper level (hopefully not by Drops) - a test kit is an assurance policy you are not overdosing. If nothing else, You can run copper level at 2.0 -2.25 but its essential you have verification via test kit
Also add aeration via air stone during treatment

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are you monitoring the copper level (hopefully not by Drops) - a test kit is an assurance policy you are not overdosing. If nothing else, You can run copper level at 2.0 -2.25 but its essential you have verification via test kit
Thanks - that's what I was referring to.

OP
OP
kopilatte

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH just by drops. You got a good point. Last time i killed my copperband on QT because of this. I will be more careful in the future. I have hanna test kit and there is no reason i didn't test it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back