On fin for 2wks. Unable to eradicate.

OldSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
This longnose Butterfly has been in QT for 2 weeks with Flame Angel and Blue Tang. Started all on coppersafe 2/18/24. 2 days ago flame started scratching and rapid breathing in Tang. Did 5min freshwater dip on all (possible flukes)
Changed 90% of water and started Prazipro w/no coppersafe except residual. These are still attached to butterfly 46hrs later. Flame & Tang eating well w/no visible spots. Butterfly very finicky eating. Found a new spot also on Butterfly since QT. This pic turned out great, so thought I would look for advice.
Salinity 1.024 Temp 78°
PH 8.0 Ammonia .5
Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10
Calcium 340 KH 179
Phosphate. 25
Haven't re-checked Copper after 90% new saltwater. Will have to restart copper treatment if I get this cured.
Thanks for any help,
Doug

20240227_072811.jpg 20240227_072937.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,
This longnose Butterfly has been in QT for 2 weeks with Flame Angel and Blue Tang. Started all on coppersafe 2/18/24. 2 days ago flame started scratching and rapid breathing in Tang. Did 5min freshwater dip on all (possible flukes)
Changed 90% of water and started Prazipro w/no coppersafe except residual. These are still attached to butterfly 46hrs later. Flame & Tang eating well w/no visible spots. Butterfly very finicky eating. Found a new spot also on Butterfly since QT. This pic turned out great, so thought I would look for advice.
Salinity 1.024 Temp 78°
PH 8.0 Ammonia .5
Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10
Calcium 340 KH 179
Phosphate. 25
Haven't re-checked Copper after 90% new saltwater. Will have to restart copper treatment if I get this cured.
Thanks for any help,
Doug

20240227_072811.jpg 20240227_072937.jpg
This is a very typical cauliflower like appearance which commonly affect both butterflies and large angels. It is known asl ymphocystis which is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy and mysis shrimp.

OP
OP
OldSchool

OldSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response. Will go ahead and finish Prazipro treatment then back to coppersafe. Didn't want to separate the 3 fish. Was able to get butterfly to eat mysis shrimp w/garlic and picked at some fresh clam. Not eating consistently though. Amazing, I have only owned predater fish in the last 30yrs. Out of practice on Angels, Tangs and Butterfly fish. Have read and appreciate several of your thread comments in the past.
Never stop learning!

OP
OP
OldSchool

OldSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very typical cauliflower like appearance which commonly affect both butterflies and large angels. It is known asl ymphocystis which is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy and mysis shrimp.
Update,
He let me remove the larger growths. Don't laugh at my "feeder". Could only get him to eat out of clam shell. I have been keeping marine fish since 1977 and still have a lot to learn. I read quite a few of you and Jay's articles and replies. Thank you again....Doug

Attachments

• 20240302_074325.mp4
    17.8 MB
  • 20240302_074201.mp4
    26.8 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update,
He let me remove the larger growths. Don't laugh at my "feeder". Could only get him to eat out of clam shell. I have been keeping marine fish since 1977 and still have a lot to learn. I read quite a few of you and Jay's articles and replies. Thank you again....Doug
No laughing- that is good

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back