White spots only late night? What would you do?

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice! Mixed DT with coral and fish.

About three days ago, my wife said our powder blue tang was covered in white spots the night before. We were both looking at the PB the next morning, who looked great. Beautiful color and no spots. We chalked it up to a bad dream..... Saw nothing the next two days.

Last night, I saw it again. Small bumps in his face area, a few white spots on face and one fin. This morning, he looks great again with no signs or spots? Yellow Tang hasn't shown any symptoms. None for the other fish, clowns, Anthias or Chromis.

Has anyone seen this before? Fish only showing symptoms at night just before lights out? Would you pull all the fish to a treatment tank and start treatment now or wait? Didn't catch a picture, but I'll take one tonight if it reappears.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The spots can come and go - it sounds like cryptocaryon (Ich)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice! Mixed DT with coral and fish.

About three days ago, my wife said our powder blue tang was covered in white spots the night before. We were both looking at the PB the next morning, who looked great. Beautiful color and no spots. We chalked it up to a bad dream..... Saw nothing the next two days.

Last night, I saw it again. Small bumps in his face area, a few white spots on face and one fin. This morning, he looks great again with no signs or spots? Yellow Tang hasn't shown any symptoms. None for the other fish, clowns, Anthias or Chromis.

Has anyone seen this before? Fish only showing symptoms at night just before lights out? Would you pull all the fish to a treatment tank and start treatment now or wait? Didn't catch a picture, but I'll take one tonight if it reappears.

PBT are really prone to ich, they usually show it before other fish do. The spots coming and going is typical of an early ich infection. Eventually, the spots will show up all of the time and in greater numbers. Untreated, it will typically prove fatal. That said, not all white spots are ich. Some causes include sand stuck to skin mucus or idiopathic mucus plugs that tangs get sometimes.

If they show up again, try to post a picture. In the meantime, you might want to prepare for the worst and decide how you are going to treat this, and begin to get the material together. It is going to be very difficult to treat in your DT with corals present. Most effective would be a fish-only treatment tank.

Jay

OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PBT are really prone to ich, they usually show it before other fish do. The spots coming and going is typical of an early ich infection. Eventually, the spots will show up all of the time and in greater numbers. Untreated, it will typically prove fatal. That said, not all white spots are ich. Some causes include sand stuck to skin mucus or idiopathic mucus plugs that tangs get sometimes.

If they show up again, try to post a picture. In the meantime, you might want to prepare for the worst and decide how you are going to treat this, and begin to get the material together. It is going to be very difficult to treat in your DT with corals present. Most effective would be a fish-only treatment tank.

Jay
Thanks all. That was my thought, might be an early sign or something else. I've just never seen it appear and disappear like that. My past experience many years ago, wasn't like this. I have a small QT, but it won't hold everyone. I've got a 40 gal breeder that I can use. Appreciate the thoughts and council.

OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I consulted my LMF to think and talk over my strategy with family and friends, that's the Local Margarita Factory for those unfamiliar, and checked on the hospital set up. I will save my friends, so I'll get the parameters as close to the DT as possible and may move them to their temp home tomorrow. Didn't plan on this happening, but I'm confident I can beat it. I missed the "pre-lights out" photo op for the fish. Still looked fine when I left this evening. Hospital pic below. Will add some PVC for hiding places tomorrow. Appreciate the comments and will update as we go forward.

More updates tomorrow.

Attachments

• Hospital Tank.jpg
    Hospital Tank.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GM. Nothing to see this morning. Fish look great again. Also not seeing the normal sick behavior either. No rock scratching or heavy breathing. Eating like they will never have another meal. Hopefully this was a false alarm. Recently, my LFS recommended adding Reef Nutrition R.O.E. to the diet for my Anthias. I'm beginning to wonder if that was fish eggs stuck to his side and fin. I think both Tangs look healthy. Do you see anything unusual?

Attachments

• PB_2796.jpg
    PB_2796.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 45
  • YT1_2766.jpg
    YT1_2766.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 67

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GM. Nothing to see this morning. Fish look great again. Also not seeing the normal sick behavior either. No rock scratching or heavy breathing. Eating like they will never have another meal. Hopefully this was a false alarm. Recently, my LFS recommended adding Reef Nutrition R.O.E. to the diet for my Anthias. I'm beginning to wonder if that was fish eggs stuck to his side and fin. I think both Tangs look healthy. Do you see anything unusual?
Sand/dust sometimes gets stuck to fish, looking like ich, so maybe fish eggs also? However, when ich is in the early stages, the ONLY symptoms you'll see are a few spots that come and go - secondary symptoms like flashing on breathing fast appear later on.

Jay

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying it’s not ick or sand but he said white bumps and I had a Naso that would show similar patches of white just before the lights would go off and strongly believe it was stress from a over aggressive kole tang while he was finding his place to bed down for the night or hide . Could this be as mine or any other inhabitants in the tank came down with inch or any disease . I would see this off and on for about a month periodically. Just a hunch !

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Stress dont bring spots in most cases but a video of distinct spots will help best assess.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress dont bring spots in most cases but a video of distinct spots will help best assess.
Vetted guy , I guess I’m confused about what we’re calling ick ie: white spots or white specs of grain like salt . I’m thinking white spots are larger like a Dalmatian or a palomino horse to me has white spots . And I have a new fox face rabbit fish that turns dark with what I call white spots , bars or segments when other fish or humans go near him . To me that’s caused by stress . After he’s by himself for a while he turns normal again

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Vetted guy , I guess I’m confused about what we’re calling ick ie: white spots or white specs of grain like salt . I’m thinking white spots are larger like a Dalmatian or a palomino horse to me has white spots . And I have a new fox face rabbit fish that turns dark with what I call white spots , bars or segments when other fish or humans go near him . To me that’s caused by stress . After he’s by himself for a while he turns normal again
The doors you mention are non-dots but more like thumb print look on fox face or Naso tangs as an example

OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your right ,he needs to send a video or picture to verify
I will send video, if I see them again. Sorry for the confusion on terminology. It was like salt, not "big spots". Three more days and I haven't seen anything since. Not a speck on anything. Added a UV to my system on Sunday.

3 days since the last appearance. Meanwhile getting the hospital ready to go. Hoping for the best.

OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Jay Hemdal @CoralB @vetteguy53081 I do appreciate your time looking at this. I have much to learn, since I've been away from the hobby for 15-20 years.

Noticed a small white area on his left fin yesterday. Not sure but you can see it in the 2816 video around 5 & 28 seconds. PB Video 1 at 9 seconds (left fin). Could be reflections of his face white or just coloration, I'm not sure. No fuzziness or growth. I will be away for a few days starting tomorrow. My wife is watching like a hawk, so I'm sure I hear if anything new develops.

Attachments

• IMG_2816.MOV
    78.4 MB
  • PB Video 1.mov
    35.3 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can’t open video on my phone but if it’s a single oval dot, may be lymphocystis which is viral and often associated with water quality issues focus on ammonia-nitrate-ph

OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Jay Hemdal @CoralB @vetteguy53081 I do appreciate your time looking at this. I have much to learn, since I've been away from the hobby for 15-20 years.

Noticed a small white area on his left fin yesterday. Not sure but you can see it in the 2816 video around 5 & 28 seconds. PB Video 1 at 9 seconds (left fin). Could be reflections of his face white or just coloration, I'm not sure. No fuzziness or growth. I will be away for a few days starting tomorrow. My wife is watching like a hawk, so I'm sure I hear if anything new develops.
adding a daylight video. He's so camera shy... Whenever I pull out the iPhone he goes into hiding.

Attachments

• IMG_2833.MOV
    18.8 MB
OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t open video on my phone but if it’s a single oval dot, may be lymphocystis which is viral and often associated with water quality issues focus on ammonia-nitrate-ph
Thanks. Good thing to check.
Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 5.0
PH = 7.8 (per Apex)
Phosphates = 0.05 (I have to watch phosphates. Was high about 4 weeks ago. Replaced my entire RODI and dosed some Phosphate-E for week. Better since treatment.
Everything else looks in range.

OP
OP
B

Boaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just closing out this thread. Guess I dodged a bullet, since no reappearance of any kind for a bout 6 weeks. Fish are healthy. I appreciate the the guidance. The result is, I got educated on the importance of quarantining and have a tank ready if needed, with copper safe and praziquantel on hand. I'm about done stocking this tank, with no current plans to add. At least I'll have everything when needed. Thanks again.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back